NY chicken lover!!!!

so max of feed consumption 4 hours a day and free range all they want?

It varies. Some have had great luck with cx free ranging, I haven't seen it personally. Search the threads here, I'm not a fan of them, but some are, definitely the biggest bang for your buck. And some are having great luck crossing them for great/better faster growing meat birds, not as fast as pure cx, but they are hatching their own.

I'm going to try and grow some out. I would like 1 pullet and 1 cockerel for breeding later . If it works I can make a deal with you. Think a cx and a giant would work well?

I have 4 that live separate and get a lot of free range opposed to the others. Then I have 4 that are on a lower protein feed free choice with no extras and 4 on high protein 2 hours morning 2 hours afternoon and 2 hours evening. The remaining 5 live with the other grow out chicks.

Not sure if I would aim towards cx/giant or cx/naked neck. I do have four pure white nn pullets it looks, I hear pure white is hard to come by with hatchery birds, all hatcheries mix them up. I'd like to see a cross with them IF one is a cockerel, don't think so. I think you will be hard pressed to get a cx cockerel past it's prime, you never know though. Not sure which route I'd take, cx/jg or cx/nn.
Just read this on wiki;
Scientific studies have indicated that the naked-neck gene (Na) improves breast size and reduces heat stress in chickens of non-broiler breeds which are homozygous for the trait. Additionally, in tropical climates if the naked-neck trait (Na) is bred into broiler strains it has been shown to facilitate lower body temperature, increased body weight gain, better Feed conversion ratios and carcass traits compared to normally feathered broilers.

Been forever since I have been on here. Been extremely busy with work and family. Scaled back the number of chickens and ducks was getting too many eggs. Not sure if anyone is interested but I have numerous incubators for sale including my Brinseas which have turning cradles with them I have the Brinsea octagon 40 which will hatch 48 hen eggs,$150 The Brinsea octagon 20 which holds 24 $100 and a small Brinsea $50 Also many Hovabators with auto turners including the digital one $30-$45 each and many little giants with auto turners $20-$25

Been forever since I have been on here. Been extremely busy with work and family. Scaled back the number of chickens and ducks was getting too many eggs. Not sure if anyone is interested but I have numerous incubators for sale including my Brinseas which have turning cradles with them I have the Brinsea octagon 40 which will hatch 48 hen eggs,$150 The Brinsea octagon 20 which holds 24 $100 and a small Brinsea $50 Also many Hovabators with auto turners including the digital one $30-$45 each and many little giants with auto turners $20-$25

Hi Nutty, glad to hear from you!

These brinseas are a steal, if I wasn't already set with mine I'd be on this in a heartbeat. If anyone is looking for a good incubator this would be perfect for you.

I'm definitely interested, especially in the brinsea mini. I will pm you. :)

Why are you selling them?

Guess I better look my birds over better, turns out I do have a white NN cockerel, kinda hard to keep track of everybody with three breeds and a couple xtras and 30+ youngsters, not even sure how many I have...:lol:

Guess I better look my birds over better, turns out I do have a white NN cockerel, kinda hard to keep track of everybody with three breeds and a couple xtras and 30+ youngsters, not even sure how many I have...:lol:
sweet. You can use a couple of my cx girls if I can grow them out healthy. I would like to get a sustainable bird going local.

Why are you selling them?  
Just done with hatching scaled back to 8 chickens figure when I need new ones I'll just buy some egg layers from tractor supply. No point in them sitting around collecting dust. I'm not into fancy breeds anymore they are just for food that is it. Besides I kept a couple Brinsea 2 20's and a 40 plus a Hovabator just in case I decide to get back into it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom