NY chicken lover!!!!

Your coop size is likely the problem - if it's really that size, you have room in there for five chickens. Each chicken needs four square feet of coop space and your coop is 20 square feet. That's okay for five chickens, but not for seven chickens. Seven chickens should have a coop of at least 28 square feet. And that doesn't count nesting boxes - they can't be counted into the floor space. You're seeing evidence of this - they're beating each other up and picking each other's feathers during the time they're stuck in the coop. You're not seeing it when you're out there with them because they're only doing it at night when they're stuck together in the coop. You need a bigger coop if you plan to keep six chickens - at least a coop that is 6' by 4', and bigger is always better
smile.png
You also want at least 8" of roosting space per bird - they tend to roost altogether in one spot but the space is important so that if one is getting bullied it can move away. That coop extension is a good idea. Tell your husband to get on it, lol.
Thanks Pyxis. I knew there was a certain amount of space they needed, but couldn't remember.
I will get on him about the coop extension. I really want to be able to keep 6, but wont do it if they aren't happy. I'm feeling really guilty now that I've noticed the one missing some feathers...
sad.png

Thanks Pyxis. I knew there was a certain amount of space they needed, but couldn't remember. 
I will get on him about the coop extension. I really want to be able to keep 6, but wont do it if they aren't happy. I'm feeling really guilty now that I've noticed the one missing some feathers...
:(

You could get her a hen saddle for now - maybe a butterfly style so it would cover more of her. That would give her some protection until you get the coop space sorted :)

Went to the Salvation Army today and found an entire collection of chicken stuff! I could have gone nuts, but resisted the temptation... This is barely half. There was another counter full of stuff!

Only came home with these 3...

I guess that my Morehens Disease has expanded to decorative chickens as well
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Quote: I agree ...it is the coop size ...if they all grew up in there it probably wouldnt have been a problem ..
but putting them together now is ..and the older hens are used to the extra space
Do you have a Dog cage you could put some of them in temporarily ?
I have a lg one im not using ..you could borrow it

We haven't done photo Friday in a long time - maybe we could do one today? I'll likely take more pictures in the morning, but since it's technically Friday here's one to start us off. My little future flock leader :)

My Garden is doing well ...tomatoes and beans are growing like crazy

Potatoes are dyng back ...but they didnt get much water ...I watered everything else at least 1 - 2 times a week ..
My project for today was a Scare crow ...
Havent done the face yet ..it did its job it already ...it startled me ..when I was working ..and saw the boots out of the corner of my eye ...." I was like Who snuck up on me ?"

I wish I could help. I have been having a crappy time with hatches lately. maybe the weather. I have a broody that has 2 eggs left that should be hatching any day now. If they hatch I will let you know.

Ugh, I have had a horrible time with my broody, Abby... she started June 6 and I finally got her to stop this week... actually split up her third collection because another hen, Anna, went broody... gave Anna a couple cuz she only had one. Abbys latest ended up black and no movement, Anna hatched out one of Abbys but it died... I've buried about four chicks with a few more eggs to bury.
So, I'm blaming the weather?
Abby attacked her one beautiful chick to hatch. It lived for one day pressed to my chest and died during the night... major head injury.
Anna now has four eggs dated August 9... But I see nothing... should they have the spider veins after two days? I need to go find that picture chart again.

Back
Top Bottom