NY chicken lover!!!!

First post on the new site - hi everyone - I missed my daily check in reading the NY threads of the 'chicken people'

Little confused why in my 'watched threads' the NY Chickenstock one is still listed there, but the NY chicken lover one has vanished? (Checked categories for those with unread posts and those with nothing new). When I did a search I kept getting warnings about the 'security certificate' of the site not being valid. I eventually found it by backtracking in my account to show one of my previous posts, and found 3 new pages of messages... when I go to the very bottom of the page the check box for 'follow this thread' is checked.... anyone a bit more computer / website savvy than me have any suggestions?

Lots to catch up on, exciting to read of new hatchings, sorry about ridiculous lack of customer service for the blue birchen maran order, and glad to read sickly new young chickens responding to electrolytes, probiotics and supportive care. Sad I have to work and can't make it to Chickenstock.

Still adjusting to being down to just 3 chickens, missing Miss Pearl, and interesting to see the shuffling of pecking order. Have been looking back through old pics of her - love this one from Feb when she had some snack debris on her beak which Fern was quick to help herself to!
0215171423.jpg

Sadly no luck at all with finding a pair of younger chicks to add (was hoping for young enough to go straight outside, 2-6 months, of different breeds to mean I could add a blue / green egg layer, and maybe a dark brown egg layer. Maybe lighter colored birds like buff or lavender, as my remaining chickens are darker colors). Think I may have to revise my plans and get the young chick brooder under lights set back up in the basement. Please keep me in mind if any of your flock plans change, or you have extra birds left after Chickenstock.

Glad site is back up and running!

Anyone need cockerels? I have an orpington, 2 EEs, and blue lace red Wyandotte. Figured I'd check here before I try other places.

How old is the Wyandotte? How much? Are you coming to Chickenstock? Photo please. I've already said I'd take a BLRW from other BYC'r. But, thought I'd ask you too. From hatchery or breeder?

A hatchery isn't going to carrying quality chicks, which is what a lot of us in here want for breeding. Hatcheries don't care about the quality of the chicks they pump out, they just care about quantity. A lot of what they sell looks like a shadow of the breed they are supposed to be. They wouldn't have blue birchen marans, either.

Hatcheries are great for certain chickens if just for production or meat. But there's often a huge difference between hatchery chickens & those from a breeder who has selectively culled out the "undesirables", etc.

DSC_0516.jpg DSC_0517.jpg
Chick one is a darker grey but way better lacing and chick 2 is lighter grey but his lacing isn't as detailed. I hatched these from my own chickens. Moms were ordered from a BYCer in MI (deep red and dark lacing) and the cockerel was from a farmer here in NY outside of Albany (orange-red with lighter lacing). I will not be at chicken stock and i'm asking $10 each for these two. They are about 9 weeks old. I have more hatching this weekend and I'm sure I'll have a lot more cockerels.

yeah amber the marans can be really hard to hatch. Good luck to you in getting some blues.

I am trying the dry incubation method along with monitoring their weight loss based on the methods found at these two links:

DRY INCUBATION METHOD
http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/#/dry-incubation-method/4559648852

WEIGHT LOSS METHOD
https://poultrykeeper.com/incubating-and-hatching-eggs/weight-loss-method-forl-incubation/

IRIS: to answer your question of why this thread is not showing up: scroll to the bottom of Watched Threads>> See all watched threads

Back
Top Bottom