NY chicken lover!!!!

Phyix - I saw these on Craigslist
https://ithaca.craigslist.org/grd/d/ayam-cemani-flock-for-sale/6497446862.html.
Have some flaws you may not like them

Thanks! You're right about the flaws though. Rooster's wattles seems to be entirely red, the two adult hens are clearly actually silkie mixes, and the rest of the chicks would be descendants of the adult silkie mixes if she hatched them from her own eggs so they aren't purebred either. She has maybe one purebred AC in that whole group, and that's the rooster (who really shouldn't be sold as a breeder).

She really ought to just sell them all as mixed breeds because that's what they are :hmm

Just wanted to pop in to say hello!
I am from suffolk county long island. South Shirley. (towards the east end)
I have a cute little backyard but we are picking up some babies tomorrow to add to our fun furry family! (currently have 4 indoor cats) a chihuahua who thinks hes a cat, and a piggy.

We had a flock of Call Ducks. DUCKS ARE MESSY AND OURS did not go in by themselves...we had to drive them in. I prefer Chickens.
THEY ARE MUCH EASIER TO CARE FOR and they give us our daily eggs. Our Call Ducks were show Ducks. We would NEVER go back to having ducks. LOTS OF MESS AND LOTS OF WORK. Aria

I am thinking of getting some ducks myself

I love my ducks :) I raise welsh harlequin ducks and Call ducks. They are messy with water, but I solve that by just not having water in the coop. They have a kiddie pool to swim in out in the run. Welshies are great layers - a lot of duck breeds outlay most chicken breeds. My Calls are show birds and pets.

They love routine and will get upset if you change it on them. Mine put themselves to bed every night no problem. I had to herd my originals in for about a week but then they learned the routine and did it on their own, and now they teach all the new ones to do it too. My geese are the same way.

Anyone looking for a sweet rooster to add to
your flock? Have a 8 week
old splash Olive Egger for free. Pretty sure it's a boy cause wattles are coming in very red at this age. Super friendly and can't keep him off my shoulder. Just loves people and attention. Mom is an EE splash and dad is a barred rock. Yes, he is sitting on my head in the first pic, lol.
IMG_7337.JPG
IMG_7341.JPG
IMG_7342.JPG
IMG_7347.JPG

Just wanted to pop in to say hello!
I am from suffolk county long island. South Shirley. (towards the east end)
I have a cute little backyard but we are picking up some babies tomorrow to add to our fun furry family! (currently have 4 indoor cats) a chihuahua who thinks hes a cat, and a piggy.
Welcome! You will love them. Be sure to post some pics when you get your new babies home and settled!

Sad loss in our little chicken family today, Fern, our Silver Laced Wyandotte, who has been here since we got her as tiny chick in May of 2015 - yes that's her in my profile pic!

She has been healthy apart from some bumblefoot issues, which cleared up after I followed tips on here about how to get the gunk out of her feet.

She hasn't laid over the winter for the last 2 winters, and was almost 3 years old.

Yesterday she looked weird in the way she was moving, almost stiff legged, bit weak, stumbling to the side, but was still determined to roam all over the garden, eating and drinking well. I wondered if she had bumblefoot again, but nothing unusual on her feet, no obvious wounds, or injuries, not bloated, so we helped her into the coop at roosting time, and went with a 'lets see how she is tomorrow' approach, read up about various internal chicken ailments, egg problems, even about tumors pushing on the sciatic nerve causing walking problems......

Sad to say, she had a rapid decline, I came home from work this afternoon to find she had separated herself from the other 4 chickens, into a different run, and was laying down in the mud, she looked very pale, her comb had flopped right over, lots of slow blinking. She moved when I went towards her and did the classic 'penguin' type walk with her tail tip almost touching the ground. When I picked her up, she was oozing what looked like yellow egg yolk from her vent. I felt she was suffering, so took her away from the coop, and ended her life.

Reading up more now, it seems likely to have been something like peritonitis caused by a soft shell / no shell egg getting stuck inside, or a similar reproductive issue. I couldn't bring myself to do a necropsy to confirm this. Having read it can be something that builds up over time, if she has been sick for more than the last few days, she hid it very well.

So, we are down to 4, matriarch Sylvia, our Brown Leghorn who was one of our original pair of chicks in June 2014, Ginger, the Red Sexlink who we got early last summer and Princess Di & Dove, the Easter Eggers who joined them at the end of last summer.

Hope you don't mind me sharing pics of this pretty lady....

IMG_7969.JPG

IMG_8066.JPG

IMG_8286.JPG

0215171423.jpg

1104171312.jpg

and saved my favorite for last - the first time she heard an airplane overhead

card # 390.JPG

Sad loss in our little chicken family today, Fern, our Silver Laced Wyandotte, who has been here since we got her as tiny chick in May of 2015 - yes that's her in my profile pic!

She has been healthy apart from some bumblefoot issues, which cleared up after I followed tips on here about how to get the gunk out of her feet.

She hasn't laid over the winter for the last 2 winters, and was almost 3 years old.

Yesterday she looked weird in the way she was moving, almost stiff legged, bit weak, stumbling to the side, but was still determined to roam all over the garden, eating and drinking well. I wondered if she had bumblefoot again, but nothing unusual on her feet, no obvious wounds, or injuries, not bloated, so we helped her into the coop at roosting time, and went with a 'lets see how she is tomorrow' approach, read up about various internal chicken ailments, egg problems, even about tumors pushing on the sciatic nerve causing walking problems......

Sad to say, she had a rapid decline, I came home from work this afternoon to find she had separated herself from the other 4 chickens, into a different run, and was laying down in the mud, she looked very pale, her comb had flopped right over, lots of slow blinking. She moved when I went towards her and did the classic 'penguin' type walk with her tail tip almost touching the ground. When I picked her up, she was oozing what looked like yellow egg yolk from her vent. I felt she was suffering, so took her away from the coop, and ended her life.

Reading up more now, it seems likely to have been something like peritonitis caused by a soft shell / no shell egg getting stuck inside, or a similar reproductive issue. I couldn't bring myself to do a necropsy to confirm this. Having read it can be something that builds up over time, if she has been sick for more than the last few days, she hid it very well.

So, we are down to 4, matriarch Sylvia, our Brown Leghorn who was one of our original pair of chicks in June 2014, Ginger, the Red Sexlink who we got early last summer and Princess Di & Dove, the Easter Eggers who joined them at the end of last summer.

Hope you don't mind me sharing pics of this pretty lady....

View attachment 1275367

View attachment 1275368
View attachment 1275370

View attachment 1275372
View attachment 1275374

and saved my favorite for last - the first time she heard an airplane overhead

View attachment 1275381
Sorry to hear about Fern, it's always hard to lose one. :(

Back
Top Bottom