NY chicken lover!!!!

I am just west of Albany.  Looks like you're quite far.  Bummer!!  Sounds like this would have been perfect!!!  :(

Its only 3 hours :D Id think about 1/2 way? Whats your zipcode so i can see exactly how far? I looked on my calendar and they are 20 months old not 18 just want to be honest on age...also again honesty...my blue laced one is blind in 1 eye from being bullied when she was a chick ;( but she is also the sweetest because she was babied so much;) Her eye is there and youd never notice but i had my vet tech friend test her eye because it was kinda callused over a smidge...she said she cant see out of it but looks great..that was when she was 12 weeks old;( Ill take photos...and post here...give me a few minutes to release the hounds to run around;)

Would they have their own coop? Secure from predators andvall? I have to ask as Im a freak :D

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,
Finally been getting some much needed rain the past couple of days! Not sure if it's going to help my lawn any but hey, it's something. Question for you all, whats the longest you've ever left your chickens if you had to travel? We taking the kids to Disney 3rd week in August and I'm wondering what I should do. I know I could leave them with enough food and water and they'd be fine. But they free range all day. We let them out around 8 in the morning and don't lock them up in the coop until about dusk, or whenever they wander on in themselves and we notice it and shut them in then rather than have to coax them in there ourselves. I'm wondering if they'd be ok in the coop for the days we'll be gone or if I should have my neighbor come by and let them before work and get them locked up in the evening. It's just that we just moved here and I really don't want to be asking for favors this early on, I'm sure she'd do it in a heartbeat, I mean she has about 30 chickens of her own she already has to let out and back in every day, but I don't know. I think 4 days would be a long time for them to have to be in the coop. What do you think?

Sigh... would anyone like TWO free drakes? They're sweet with chickens and lady ducks, just not males. I had separated out the main bully until he gets a new home and found my pekin male bullying the other guys in his place. So they need a new home together.

Pharm glad you"re doing better. Bite your tongue about winter. We are getting rain again today and I'm not complaining.

My Blue EE has begun to lay which means the CR should be starting also. Have two hens broody and no where immediately to put them but will.

Sold four pairs of Dels from Paul Harter line and expect to sell another on Monday. That will still leave me with a few pullets. Which is fine but my line is much better and any hens that get eggs to sit on will get Del or Colored EE eggs. My colored egg laying EE's will be crossed with my Lav Amer rooster. After I get a few more EE's, I'll begin to work on some Olive eggers.

I hate to hatch this late but it will mean less incubator use and energy costs.

We're big readers in this house also. Right now I'm reading a book about Tom Doolie, the character of the same titled song. It's fiction but the main details are there. When I'm not reading gardening or chicken stuff.

Do we have a book club thread on here?

Last edited:
Its only 3 hours
big_smile.png
Id think about 1/2 way? Whats your zipcode so i can see exactly how far? I looked on my calendar and they are 20 months old not 18 just want to be honest on age...also again honesty...my blue laced one is blind in 1 eye from being bullied when she was a chick ;( but she is also the sweetest because she was babied so much;) Her eye is there and youd never notice but i had my vet tech friend test her eye because it was kinda callused over a smidge...she said she cant see out of it but looks great..that was when she was 12 weeks old;( Ill take photos...and post here...give me a few minutes to release the hounds to run around;)
Would they have their own coop? Secure from predators andvall? I have to ask as Im a freak
big_smile.png
Good place to meet in the middle would be our house.
wink.png
Just saying.

Mom2Munchkins- In case you don't know we are having a "chicken get-together" in August. For more info check out the link in my sig line.

Sigh... would anyone like TWO free drakes? They're sweet with chickens and lady ducks, just not males. I had separated out the main bully until he gets a new home and found my pekin male bullying the other guys in his place. So they need a new home together.
Where abouts are you? I have two ducks that lost thier drake, poor things keep trying to sit on eggs anyway.

Hey Everyone,
Finally been getting some much needed rain the past couple of days! Not sure if it's going to help my lawn any but hey, it's something. Question for you all, whats the longest you've ever left your chickens if you had to travel? We taking the kids to Disney 3rd week in August and I'm wondering what I should do. I know I could leave them with enough food and water and they'd be fine. But they free range all day. We let them out around 8 in the morning and don't lock them up in the coop until about dusk, or whenever they wander on in themselves and we notice it and shut them in then rather than have to coax them in there ourselves. I'm wondering if they'd be ok in the coop for the days we'll be gone or if I should have my neighbor come by and let them before work and get them locked up in the evening. It's just that we just moved here and I really don't want to be asking for favors this early on, I'm sure she'd do it in a heartbeat, I mean she has about 30 chickens of her own she already has to let out and back in every day, but I don't know. I think 4 days would be a long time for them to have to be in the coop. What do you think?
I wouldn't leave them shut in that long. With the temps we have been having, I'm sure their coop would be much too hot to stay cooped up in. I would bet since your neighbor is a chicken lady she would want to make sure they are safe. I'm sure there will be a time when she needs the favor returned sometime. I would also give her a nice thank you gift.
wink.png

I'm wondering if they'd be ok in the coop for the days we'll be gone or if I should have my neighbor come by and let them before work and get them locked up in the evening. It's just that we just moved here and I really don't want to be asking for favors this early on, I'm sure she'd do it in a heartbeat, I mean she has about 30 chickens of her own she already has to let out and back in every day, but I don't know. I think 4 days would be a long time for them to have to be in the coop. What do you think?
If I were your neighbor, I'd be happy to look after your birds for you even if you were new to the neighborhood, as we chicken folks tend to stick together. I'd ask her.
smile.png

Its only 3 hours
big_smile.png
Id think about 1/2 way? Whats your zipcode so i can see exactly how far? I looked on my calendar and they are 20 months old not 18 just want to be honest on age...also again honesty...my blue laced one is blind in 1 eye from being bullied when she was a chick ;( but she is also the sweetest because she was babied so much;) Her eye is there and youd never notice but i had my vet tech friend test her eye because it was kinda callused over a smidge...she said she cant see out of it but looks great..that was when she was 12 weeks old;( Ill take photos...and post here...give me a few minutes to release the hounds to run around;)
Would they have their own coop? Secure from predators andvall? I have to ask as Im a freak
big_smile.png
My zip is 12160. I have a 12x12 coop for my standards. So they wouldn't have their own, but they would be in with the other girls. I currently do not have a rooster because he was getting a little rough on the girls, so he had to go. And yes, completely secure from predators. Would love to see pics!

Hey Everyone,
I wouldn't leave any of my animals unattended for four days. Ask the neighbor! They will need fresh water , if nothing else. Even if she could let them out on day 2or3 then on the day you return. You could offer to pat her, return the favor or go to the local vet to see if any local animal sitters are available.

Back
Top Bottom