Observation on egg sales economics

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Yesterday I dropped off eggs at the local grocery store. This includes 'mixed sized eggs', or large through jumbo, and a few dozen 'medium' sized eggs, from the pullets or smaller layers, that I sell for 35% off. The grocer said he wants more of these medium sized eggs, as customers do buy them since they are less expensive and they can still get the farm fresh quality. Said his customers appear to have less to spend currently. I was surprised, as I always try to breed for and sell the largest eggs.

Hmmm, wonder if these customers also buy meat. Eggs pack a lot of nutrients and, even the largest ones cost less than most, if not all, cuts of meat. Eggs of any size are a bargain, in my mind.

I sell my eggs but not to a commercial outlet. My customers really like larger eggs. They LOVE it in spring time when the geese are laying their giant beauties and will gladly pay an extra 50 cents per egg (that's all I ask; I know they would pay more) for those.

Stores that sell eggs that come from battery hens typically label their medium-sized eggs as "large." I do not know the purpose in this but I suppose the difference of medium and large is not all that visible for a person who does not know much about chickens. I believe stores should really go for selling bantam eggs more often (especially since battery facilities need to be removed off the face of the planet, it is disgusting) because they have a better taste than large fowl eggs. Do you have any bantams? Maybe they would like those too! If customers are willing to buy those.

Hmmm, wonder if these customers also buy meat. Eggs pack a lot of nutrients and, even the largest ones cost less than most, if not all, cuts of meat. Eggs of any size are a bargain, in my mind.

I sell my eggs but not to a commercial outlet. My customers really like larger eggs. They LOVE it in spring time when the geese are laying their giant beauties and will gladly pay an extra 50 cents per egg (that's all I ask; I know they would pay more) for those.
I can't say about specific customers, but this grocer said that while Giant Eagle's sales are down 30%, his sales are steady, largely due to his value meat selection. So I'd guess these customers are buying both meat and eggs.
I just got some pekin ducks, looking forward to their xxl duck eggs.

I have more goose eggs than I know what to do with. I've given some out for free, but there doesn't seem to be much return interest in them.

Initially, I treat goose eggs as a novelty item for first-time buyers.

I usually point out that a single goose egg will make a "three-egg omelet" and brag about how deliciously mine cook up, light and fluffy in my morning omelet. Also, I say, while I'm happy to sell them my "leftover" eggs, I really enjoy keeping those big, lovely eggs for myself. I also remind folks that geese only lay for a short period of time every year, so the supply is extremely limited.

Did I mention that my previous employment experience included selling, among other things, used cars? Or, that I had to convince bright, young newspaper reporters that should come to work in Fort Dodge, Iowa; that they would LOVE it? Believe me, I have spent a lot of time working on my sales techniques :)

Initially, I treat goose eggs as a novelty item for first-time buyers.

I usually point out that a single goose egg will make a "three-egg omelet" and brag about how deliciously mine cook up, light and fluffy in my morning omelet. Also, I say, while I'm happy to sell them my "leftover" eggs, I really enjoy keeping those big, lovely eggs for myself. I also remind folks that geese only lay for a short period of time every year, so the supply is extremely limited.

Did I mention that my previous employment experience included selling, among other things, used cars? Or, that I had to convince bright, young newspaper reporters that should come to work in Fort Dodge, Iowa; that they would LOVE it? Believe me, I have spent a lot of time working on my sales techniques :)
You sold Ft Dodge I'm impressed 😉

Back
Top Bottom