Observation on Newbies

54blck.jpg
[/img]

ok test cause I sure feel like anewbie

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this. I just got lucky and came across your site. My family moved from the city in CA to the country in Ephrata, WA. last summer. What a change! We love it! I have always wanted chickens and now I can have them. I can hardly wait. But before I get started there is so much to learn. Your web site has so much wonderful information and I think its wonderful how everyone shares so much with each other. I am looking forward to meeting new friends and learning so I can have a happy healthy home for my chickens. I want to raise the kind for egg laying. I told my 6 year old granddaughter that my job will be to make faces and get the chickens attention while her job will be to go around back and swipe the eggs. (lol) She wants to switch jobs! Thanks again for all the wonderful information.

Welcome Angel, What a cute mental picture of your grandaughter making faces so you can swipe the eggs. I hope you can get some birds soon. I like to encourage newbies to consider the heritage breeds. There are so many beautiful breeds that are struggling to survive the modern approach to farming. It is up to backyard fanciers to help perserve the wonderful heritage of their diverse and beautiful existance. Ok off the soap box. I must add that I have Silkies too and they are just to sweet for words. Keep us posted on your breed choices and how things go.

Hey everyone.. to those I haven't met yet....
hitheresmiley.gif

jimnjay, luv the avatar pic!

And about the 'observation..' That's exactly how I found you all. I did a search on Yahoo for 'raising chickens' back in January and BackYardChickens was there about four or five down the list. The addiction had started long before...I was so happy to know I was not alone!!
lau.gif

I have look everywhere I could thing of for concrete mushrooms, have not been able to find them.

They're called 'staddle stones' (yes, staddle not saddle) if that helps in your search. You could try architectural salvage places, and landscaping companies too. They were originally used to stop rats getting into grain stores in times gone by. Perhaps you could make a wooden version using part of a tree trunk if you're handy with a chainsaw?

I found this in Alberta, Canada.
http://www.uniquities-archant.com/c...d0&PHPSESSID=eb09e0171e9bc82ae3ad5bbec31e8bd0

My other source of info is a mag that I pick up at TSC called " Practical Poultry" that is out of the UK.

It's brilliant ^_^ - just got this months issue now. There's an article in there this month about someone's 'chicken gym' in CA.

nor can you buy any coops like the cute ones pictured in Practical Poultry here in the US.

I think you've spotted a gap in the market
smile.png
They go for rediculous amounts of money - about £350 ($700) at the cheaper end of the market, for 6 hens.

Sounds like a trip to England might be in order.

Feel free to make a trip to Bristol if you ever do
wink.png

Last edited:
Hi Helena,
Thanks for the info on the staddle stones. I didn't know they had any other use than to hold up a pretty chicken coop, ha ha ha. I think for sure there is a "gap in the market" as you said. I was telling a friend just the other day that I thought we should build some. Chickens are getting really popular here!!!
big_smile.png
Jen

Quote:
This forum has a great group of people. There is always that person in every forum, but not here. I just hate people that come onto these places with an attitude, major sarcasm, or a know it all tone.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom