Odd chicken noises

city kid farm

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Massachusetts
I am new to chickens and while I love them, they make some bizarre noises. I thought chickens clucked or bocked or chooked, but the sounds my girls are making are really weird. There have been goose grunts, purrs, chatter and squacks

One is puzzling me. Maryanne, a 20 week GLW, is on the bottom of the pecking order and she makes a sound like a cat. Kerrreeeeeeee. She starts out low and builds to a screech. This is a recent development and as far as I can tell it's the only sound she makes. She makes it when she greets me. She makes it when she checks everyone is in the coop. She does it when she gets kicked out of the dirt bath. She does it when she's offered treats. The only thing that changes is the intensity of her cry.

Just curious if any one else has a chicken that does this or any other odd noises?

My first 4 was raised with a Pekin duck and Rouen duck, the chickens would quack better than the ducks did lol.
They all start with a whistle sounds then went to the quack , now almost 5 months old after bring in older chickens they cluck cluck cluck, but some of mine growl or sound like a dinosaur its a hard to explain sound but they do it.

Odd chicken noises? I thought back over all the chicken noises I heard today and came to the conclusion that ALL chicken noises are odd!
gig.gif

I don't think I heard anything like a 'bawk' or 'cockle-doodle-doo'.

Back
Top Bottom