Odd egg

Katynova

Chirping
Oct 8, 2021
My chicken laid an abnormally large egg. But she is two and a jersey giant. I went eat said egg and this is what was inside.

What is that orange thick part? Should I be worried about my hen?

Attachments

• IMG_2531.jpeg
    IMG_2531.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 24
Meat spot. Sometimes stuff sloughs off from body parts in the body cavity or inside the tube that carries the egg yolk from where it originates to the shell gland where the last of the egg white and the shell are added. This gets incorporated into the egg or, if it is on its own, an egg may form around it.

This is what the Egg Quality Guide says about it (look under meat spots) but I consider this definition to be kind of restrictive. They can be other things.

Egg Quality Guide - The Poultry Site | The Poultry Site

As you can see, they happen. It's not a danger to the hen but is a reason you might want to open all of your eggs into a bowl by themselves before you use them. You can get strange things in our eggs. The commercial eggs have them too but they are separated out by candling before they are packaged for sell.

Last edited:
It’s not very appetizing. I put the egg in my fridge and cooked some others. I’ll cook it up for the hens.

Back
Top Bottom