Odd story

Rstine

Chirping
Jun 19, 2016
I hope you all can follow my story, I'm a little confused myself.
I've had a guinea sitting off in a field for a few weeks now. I've got a great Pyrenees that has free range of the property at night but when i let my chickens out in the morning the dog gets confined to the house yard.
This morning I was greeted by a mommy and 3 new keets. What joy. I shortly looked at the nest and there were 5 unhatched eggs. Now it gets strange. About 11 hours later i was playing with my kids in the house yard and saw my dog chewing on something. It was an egg and I'll be darned if there wasn't a live chic in it. It doesn't appear that the chic is injured. We quickly put it under aheat lamp and it's still alive and peeping. If that's not weird enough, there are still 5 eggs in that nest. I dontd know how this happened or where this egg came from. Any thoughts?

Guinea hens often abandon the nest after just one or two keets hatch. At least you got three! I suggest you rescue the rest of the eggs, keep them warm and see if they'll hatch.

I hope you all can follow my story, I'm a little confused myself.
I've had a guinea sitting off in a field for a few weeks now. I've got a great Pyrenees that has free range of the property at night but when i let my chickens out in the morning the dog gets confined to the house yard.
This morning I was greeted by a mommy and 3 new keets. What joy. I shortly looked at the nest and there were 5 unhatched eggs. Now it gets strange. About 11 hours later i was playing with my kids in the house yard and saw my dog chewing on something. It was an egg and I'll be darned if there wasn't a live chic in it. It doesn't appear that the chic is injured. We quickly put it under aheat lamp and it's still alive and peeping. If that's not weird enough, there are still 5 eggs in that nest. I dontd know how this happened or where this egg came from. Any thoughts?

So, the egg that your dog had contained a guinea keet? I was wondering if one of the eggs got pushed out of the nest. After some of the eggs hatch, guineas will try to push out the hatched egg shells to keep the nest clean (at least my guineas would always do this). I wonder if this egg accidentally got pushed out along with the shell remnants so you didn’t see it when you counted the 5 eggs before and after finding your dog with the egg.
Did the guinea hen go back and sit on the nest after you saw her with the three keets? If not, I’m truly amazed that this little one survived without heat for nearly 11 hours and being subject to the dog! If the hen has not continued to return to the nest to sit on the remaining eggs, it is unlikely that they are still viable, but you could try putting them in an incubator or under a heat lamp and see if they hatch. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

We'll, our little meet didn't make it, but after dog assisted I'm not surprised.
The dog showed up with another egg. I candled it and there was no chic in it. So I tried that with the original 5 in the next and only 1 had anything in it so I put it in the incubator and nothing has happened.
I guess the dog had gotten to the nest early and brought 2 eggs and burried them in the yard. It was 100 degrees so they just kept on incubating.

Back
Top Bottom