Odd Week old D'uccle behavior

Sberrie

Songster
May 3, 2019
Delaware
My week old girl has been acting weird compared to the other chicks I got. I got 2 duccles in this shipment and the other one seems to be running around like normal.
My "problem child" is much more lethargic, she seems to be on her own from the rest of the chicks. She's developing her feathers fine, drinking and peeping like normal but her behavior just seems...odd. Possibly related, she's gotten stuck on her back several times and was unable to get up. She just seems to be different than all the rest, including the other d'uccle.
I dont have any experience with bantams and I didn't know what is normal.

In my experiences d'uccle don't handle being shipped well. I would often lose most of them so I stopped ordering them by mail. They often don't have much for reserves due to their size, so they get too far behind and can never catch up. I hope yours hangs in there. There's not much you can do except keep some electrolytes or a bit of brown sugar in the water that first week or so, and check for pasty butt on a regular basis.

In my experiences d'uccle don't handle being shipped well. I would often lose most of them so I stopped ordering them by mail. They often don't have much for reserves due to their size, so they get too far behind and can never catch up. I hope yours hangs in there. There's not much you can do except keep some electrolytes or a bit of brown sugar in the water that first week or so, and check for pasty butt on a regular basis.
I do have their water full of electrolyte/vitamin mix.

She was chirping very loudly this morning, like last night and quieted down when I picked her up. But this morning when i picked her up she was breathing out some bubbles for a few breaths.

She was chirping very loudly this morning, like last night and quieted down when I picked her up. But this morning when i picked her up she was breathing out some bubbles for a few breaths.
Sounds like a potential respiratory problem, but also could be stuff coming up from her crop. What temperature are you brooding at? Lamp or heat plate?

You could try posting in the emergency and disease thread to see if you get a better answer than mine.

Sounds like either a crop issue or aspiration pneumonia from being pushed into a waterer. What is your water setup like?

Back
Top Bottom