Odor Control for dirt run

Put a fan in the run? I'm not having issues with the coop, it was the wet dirt in the run area. Its going to be about 70 today, so it should be drying out.

Put a fan in the run? I'm not having issues with the coop, it was the wet dirt in the run area. Its going to be about 70 today, so it should be drying out.

It's 94 degrees here and I have a fan at the end of my run to move the air through. I'm sure it depends on the size/location of the run as to if a fan is practical to use.

do you feed them in the run,when spillage of chicken feed gets wet it really stinks.thats when i notice my runs have a really bad smell.

They have a hanging feeder and a hanging nipple water bucket in there, but there really isn't much of any food on the ground, I'm actually really surprised that they aren't more messy with the food. But the food is under the coop, and that's the only area that is still really dry.

As to lime, there are different kinds, some are super caustic.

From this web page,

http://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping/lime-different-kinds/

Quicklime (calcium oxide) is a white solid having a crystalline structure. Quicklime is highly reactive with water, generating considerable heat in the hydration process. It can be bought at masonry supply stores. CAUTION: HIGHLY CAUSTIC

Hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide) is a dry powder obtained by treating quicklime with sufficient water to satisfy its chemical affinity for water, thereby converting the oxides to hydroxides. It can be bought at garden centers. CAUTION: CAUSTIC

Garden lime is calcium carbonate. It is usually manufactured by grinding marble stone to a fine dust. The dust can be bagged as such or it can be pelletized to make it easier to go through a spreader.

Dolomitic lime is garden lime that contains a small percentage of magnesium carbonate. Most garden lime sold in Georgia is dolomitic lime.

I have a 400-500 sq ft run filled with sand. It's uncovered, so it gets plenty wet (and snowy) here in Ohio. I love the sand. It drains really well, you can scoop up the poops with a kitty litter scoop (if you want ;), and there's no smell. To keep it "smell free", I use a couple cups of Sweet PDZ (horse stall refresher) sprinkled around about 1x/week. I don't bother if it's really dry or cold, but when it's warm and humid--the smell is gone! Our run backs up to our kitchen and bedroom....NO smell !! There are plenty of threads here about the wonders of sand..also: Sweet PDZ, you can do a search here on that to read more about it's safety and usefulness.

I'm having this problem this winter season it has been just soooo wet! (the wettest season on record) so what is this oxine? are there any heath issues with the stall deodorizer? I've seen it at the feed store and have been tempted to use it....

The only possible problem with the stall deodorizer would be dust... Wear a mask when pouring it out, and of course, once it hits the water, dust will no longer be an issue. ;)

Back
Top Bottom