Odor Control for dirt run

ok here is the poured cement barrier around the perimeter...Maybe its keeping moisture in?
I
here is the wettest back side of the coop....

here is the front, maybe i need to start from the beginning and remove all this old stuff?

here is the side that is covered by a large tree and it is much more dry and less muddy...

so as you can see i have tried adding other materials but it doesn't seem to help...i am constantly trying to turn things over to reduce the smell but nothing helps!

The materials are not nearly deep enough to prevent odor or mud. Deep litter in the run is most effective at 6 in deep and above...the deeper, the more effective. I don't think the concrete holds in moisture, most likely it's just the lay of the land, the absorption levels of your run, and the climate. If wanting to try deep litter you'll need to add something around the bottom of your fence to contain it inside the run. Boards, tin, hardware wire, etc. seem to work well.

You do not have the litter DEEP enough. When you get the litter deep enough, the water will be on the bottom of the layers. Deep layers of some kind of materials composting is what will keep the smell down.

Bee and I are talking 12 inches deep. From what I can see in your picture your have enough chips on the ground to barely cover it.

Between Bee and I, we have nearly 100 years of chicken keeping experience under our belts. We know how to keep chickens from stinking. Deep litter is your answer to the problem.

Our run is covered which does make a difference but, the deep litter is probably 6" deep. Right now it's mostly straw and hay, in the summer, mostly grass clippings, in the fall, mostly leaves, This picture was taken last fall. No odor or flies. We also throw in old pine shavings, pine needles and garden debris.

Is there anyway to cover the run?

Ok so if I dig a foot down remove all the old material and add new mulch it should help?
I wouldn't remove any old material, just start adding new and larger amounts right on top. You'll likely have to place a guard around the bottom of the fence so the hens won't kick it all out, though. From the looks of your pics, much of your material is ending up outside your fence.

Last edited:
Ok so if I dig a foot down remove all the old material and add new mulch it should help?

You need to build up the sides to hold in MORE mulch/shavings. Don't remove, ADD to what you have is what everyone is trying to say. The new top layer will keep the wet at the bottom, however you need to add at least 6" - 12". I know it's a lot, we haven't had much rain here yet so my run just has about 2" but it's on the highest ground & drains. The shower curtains I hope will prevent much of the driving rain from getting in, Hubby put a gutter on the roof line away from the Run/Coop. I will be able to add more shavings but if I need to go way deeper, will build up the sides & add more shavings, any removed will be compost.

I feel your frustration with the mud/rain, we had a horrible couple months of it but that was before Hubby built the Run/Coop & the pullets were still in the chick coop in my patio. Their mobile run was terribly wet/muddy, kept moving it around in the yard but there were days I just let them hang out in the patio.

Good luck & I like your run.

You said you are using pine shavings in the coop right? When you clean that out put it in the run. Put 2x 12 boards along the bottom so it can build up in the chickens don't kick everything out. That seems to be a special talent they have. Check out the deep litter method in the learning center section.

Ok I understand what I need to do but my actual coop is at the level of the current ground so if I build up a foot... Then I'd be burying my coop...

I don't want to have to raise my coop.... I'm not sure what would be easier raising the op or digging out a foot of muck?

IF you dig out the muck, don't think it'll change your situation....The water will leach from underground, think I understand your predicament with the coop. The coop & run are level, adding more fill to the run will raise the floor of the run? Do you have roofing on the run? Perhaps hanging tarp/plastic on the chain link to prevent water/rain from wetting the run? Maybe you'll get more recommendations/suggestions...

Back
Top Bottom