OEGB - broodiness, personality, egg-laying, maturity?

Oooof I'm getting worried (again lol), the forecast says thunderstorms possible every single day for over ten days straight, I don't want any of the chicks to get coccidiosis! Any decent ways to protect them from it? I only have save-a-chick probiotics and a thing of rooster-booster electrolytes, which also has vitamins.

Oooof I'm getting worried (again lol), the forecast says thunderstorms possible every single day for over ten days straight, I don't want any of the chicks to get coccidiosis! Any decent ways to protect them from it? I only have save-a-chick probiotics and a thing of rooster-booster electrolytes, which also has vitamins.
The mom should take care of them, just make sure they have a shelter. Mama Gracie knows what is best:thumbsup

...thunderstorms possible every single day for over ten days straight, I don't want any of the chicks to get coccidiosis! Any decent ways to protect them from it?

I can think of several possibilities:

--Keep them somewhere dry: inside a building, in a raised cage, etc. Replacing any wet bedding right away might also help.

--Provide medicated feed

--Provide medicated water (corid is a brand name, amprolium is an active ingredient)

You can medicate either feed or water, but do not do both.

^I agree with the Corid. I had a case of cocci last year, and used some more this year when I saw some runny poop to prevent any contraction. I buy it at rural king ( or a local farm supply) and it’s usually in the cattle/sheep section. There’s plenty of great posts/info on BYC for info on dosage!!

The chick is so so cute! I’m currently visiting friends and family down south, and haven’tvseen any of my babies for over two weeks! :(
I had some hatch but had my mom pop them into the brooder for me. Can’t wait to see how the older ones are growing.

Time for a Bromance Story!
So, the baby Easter Egger we gave to Bootsie to raise a few months back turned out male; however, he's a very calm male, so far so good- he gets picked on by some of the hens, and so spends most of his time hanging around his adoptive mother, and our tiny Japanese bantam rooster, Taichi.
He's already started crowing, and has mounted some of the hens; when this happens, Taichi runs up to the scene, but does...Nothing! He just stands there!
When Taichi calls the girls for treats he finds, up comes Max the Easter Egger, and Taichi gives him what he finds! Max mostly hangs out either with adoptive mom Bootsie, little Taichi, or...Me! When they free range, he sometimes goes off on his own, and follows me around!
He's really sweet so far, and him and Taichi actually get along, so as long as things keep going in this direction- we're gonna keep him :). First sign of human aggression and he's out, but so far he's a nice, timid guy.

The end!

Time for a Bromance Story!
So, the baby Easter Egger we gave to Bootsie to raise a few months back turned out male; however, he's a very calm male, so far so good- he gets picked on by some of the hens, and so spends most of his time hanging around his adoptive mother, and our tiny Japanese bantam rooster, Taichi.
He's already started crowing, and has mounted some of the hens; when this happens, Taichi runs up to the scene, but does...Nothing! He just stands there!
When Taichi calls the girls for treats he finds, up comes Max the Easter Egger, and Taichi gives him what he finds! Max mostly hangs out either with adoptive mom Bootsie, little Taichi, or...Me! When they free range, he sometimes goes off on his own, and follows me around!
He's really sweet so far, and him and Taichi actually get along, so as long as things keep going in this direction- we're gonna keep him :). First sign of human aggression and he's out, but so far he's a nice, timid guy.

The end!
Sounds like a sweet little roo!

I'm definitely going to have to update this more and upload some more pics,
Gracie's chicks and Yuki's chick are all growing SO much!
Their colors and personalities are coming out, I love watching them grow!
Gracie has been a super good mom this entire time, still showing no sign of getting bored or uninterested, her chicks still cuddle under her wings and against her every night to sleep :p

The LF Polish / Japanese Bantam mix chick is turning out beautiful!
Mostly white with just a little buff on the chest area.

The bantam Cochin / Japanese Bantam mix chicks are getting fluffier on the back end :p, getting fluffier legs, and they're mostly all black;

The OEGB / Japanese bantam mix chick is the only black one that
also has a lot of color, mostly gold here and there and a lighter chest color; it's also the only one with a really visible comb, so I think we might only have one male out of the whole bunch, and three females :D

Back
Top Bottom