strawberricatt

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 4, 2016
Back in May I purchased one Silver Duckwing OEGB rooster and two hens from the 'For Sale' section at a poultry show. They all came from different breeders, and I kept them in a very large dog crate with a kennel attached for a couple of months. They are currently living in a medium sized outdoor run(an aviary on it's side to provide more room, plus free range time, which they don’t really like) with the kennel in it for shelter. It is Winter in NZ so I don’t expect the hens to be laying, but I have not once seen the roo make any attempt to mate with either of the hens.

He crows alot, has small sharp spurs and a dubbed comb. So why no mating? Is he just shy and won’t do it in front of me? Is he scared of the hens? Any ideas?

Yes, how old are they? Are you dealing with immature cockerels and pullets, cockerel and hens, rooster and pullets, or rooster and hens?

You sort of said they are not laying. When a hen is laying she sends signals to the rooster that she is laying, such as a bright red comb and wattles. Thus he knows which hens require his attention so the eggs will be fertile. Perhaps they are not sending him the right signals and he is paying attention.

He has been dubbed. Damage to a rooster's comb can sometimes reduce his "vitality".

Has he finished the molt? Some roosters' activity drops during the molt. Even after the molt some roosters are less active before spring, just like some hens don't lay until spring.

Some roosters are just less active than others at any time of the year. Roosters several years old tend to slow down though with those small spurs he's likely a young cockerel. Still, each has it own personality.

It's highly possible you just don't see him, especially if he has slowed down for the winter. You are not down there 24/7 are you? He may become a lot more active this spring.

It is possible if he is an immature cockerel and they are mature hens that he is scared of them. If so, when he matures enough things will probably change dramatically.

It sounds like you may want to hatch some eggs this spring or summer. As Mrs K said, check for the bull's eye when they start laying. You may be pleasantly surprised.

You're in the Southern Hemisphere and because egg laying is more frantic in the Spring Months.... well egg fertilization is at its lowest point during what ever months pass as Winter where you live.

Young cockerels are likely put under hack by more numerous (and often slightly older hens) Put under hack means that the hens are at the top of the pecking order at the moment but as the ages differences even out your cockerel will grow up to be a man and hopefully do man things.

Thank you all for the input! I am unsure of ages,however I purchased my cockerel from the director of the show who was still showing him, so at the end of the show the man gave me the bird from a show cage and I paid him(I had taken the hens home the day before, as they weren't showing).

All three of the birds have finished their moult. When my little sister was attempting to grab one of the hens during free ranging time yesterday my ginger red hen did an 'egg squat' as I hear it called when my little sister touched her back. I don't know if it means anything though...(I have never seen the other one squat) I'll get some nice, clear pics tomorrow so you all can take a guess at ages...

By the way, not all of them are duckwing, only the cockerel. One of the hens is ginger-red, and I'm not sure about the other.

Hope this info helps slightly.

I have my main flock that has an RIR cockerel, who fertilises the eggs, saw the bullseye in all of them, at first I wasn't sure but someone on BYC told me what to look for :)

Back
Top Bottom