Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Pics
Okay, I will. :lau

Wipe it down of fumigate?
I get it as clean as I can first and then mix up the oxine with food grade citric acid crystals (min. 99% purity). That citric acid is what activates the oxine and with the following formula, it produces 500 ppm concentration of available chlorine dioxide. That amount is supposed to kill all bacteria, virus and fungus. To make a gallon of solution, place 3.25 oz. of oxine in a clean pail and add 10 grams of the citric acid crystals. Allow 5 minutes for the crystals to dissolve completely. Then add the gallon of clean potable water. This is done in a well ventilated area. When blended, I pour it in a clean pump sprayer and thoroughly spray the insides of the incubators, close them up and turn them on while wearing a canister ventilator and with the windows open. I only have to do two cabinet incubators so I'm only making 1/2 gallon of solution.

When I have some left over, I spray the inside of vacant coops.
I should have done it a few times already this summer but whenever the cabinets were empty there were chicks in the room.
I got mine from revival. They sell both the oxine and citric acid.
https://www.revivalanimal.com/pet-health/how-to-use-oxine-ah/learning-center#:~:text=Oxine® AH Activated formula,fungi and viruses including E.

You can also use it to disinfect eggs and barns.
I haven't used it on eggs yet but I may try a control batch next spring.

Last edited:
I get it as clean as I can first and then mix up the oxine with food grade citric acid crystals (min. 99% purity). To make a gallon of solution, place 3.25 oz. of oxine in a clean pail and add 10 grams of the citric acid crystals. Allow 5 minutes for the crystals to dissolve completely. Then add the gallon of clean potable water. This is done in a well ventilated area. When blended, I pour it in a clean pump sprayer and thoroughly spray the insides of the incubators, close them up and turn them on while wearing a canister ventilator and with the windows open. I only have to do two cabinet incubators so I'm only making 1/2 gallon of solution.
This ratio makes a 500 ppm concentration of available chlorine dioxide. It's supposed to kill all bacteria, virus and fungus.
When I have some left over, I spray the inside of vacant coops.
I should have done it a few times already this summer but whenever the cabinets were empty there were chicks in the room.
I got mine from revival. They sell both the oxine and citric acid.
https://www.revivalanimal.com/pet-health/how-to-use-oxine-ah/learning-center#:~:text=Oxine® AH Activated formula,fungi and viruses including E.

You can also use it to disinfect eggs and barns.
I haven't used it on eggs yet but I may try a control batch next spring.
I use oxine for horse hoof issues. Good stuff. Didn't realize I could fumigate a coop with it.

All of the potential chimkens and giant white ducks are in and heating up. Ducks have been in for a bit. 5 ducks have development, but 1 has a good size crack in the shell. We’ll see how long that one lasts.

Anyone use a Brinsea 380 cabinet? I’m about to order one in a few weeks and curious what others think about them. It’s a month long wait and $1849 for the cabinet/humidity pump. Pretty penny but need a stable incubator for emu next season.

Here's my pretty contribution to the hatch-along.
I have no clue how I ended up with an olive egger naked neck, but it's awesome. Therefore, I'm hatching all her eggs.
The others are from my Ayam Cemanis.

Attachments

• IMG_20201010_182659336.jpg
    IMG_20201010_182659336.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 5
I will have to start tomorrow. Was gone for a week and help collected from wrong pens. :hit
Really don’t want to hatch what they did collect. Kinda bummed will recollect my thoughts on this and try again tomorrow. Something ate the eggs that would have been in the coop I wanted. Hopefully it’s just a squirrel I really don’t want it to be the chickens which is what I’m afraid it is.

On positive note all birds are alive. :wee

Last edited:
All of the potential chimkens and giant white ducks are in and heating up. Ducks have been in for a bit. 5 ducks have development, but 1 has a good size crack in the shell. We’ll see how long that one lasts.

Anyone use a Brinsea 380 cabinet? I’m about to order one in a few weeks and curious what others think about them. It’s a month long wait and $1849 for the cabinet/humidity pump. Pretty penny but need a stable incubator for emu next season.
Depending on the size of the crack new skin can seal it for you if you have some.

Back
Top Bottom