Ended Official BYC 2023 Summer Fair Contest—Equine Show Ring

Another of Benjamin, 11.5 year old spotted donkey, mugging for an apple slice (which he hardly ever gets!). But hey, it's always worth a try! He is very prone to laminitis, so sweets are not allowed except on very rare occasions. But he is forever hopeful!
Benjamin8.2023a.jpg

Meet Ebony. My heart horse. She’s the horse that I connected with quickly, but had to fight to keep a strong connection. Ebony was owned by an elderly lady who could no longer care for her horses, but a friend had promised to find homes for them all. Ebony was always an “extra” horse and never had A person. She basically sat in a pasture for 18 years. She then was placed in a veterans program, where they threw English tack in her and put her in an arena and asked her to do things that she did not understand, and they did not give her time, so unfortunately, she became known as a “dangerous” horse who threw trainers and was just unsafe under saddle. Because of this they unfortunately could not keep her so looked for someone who wanted her. A lady who was friends with Ebony’s owner had sold us an awesome mare the year prior and offered her to us first. We were not REALLY looking for another horse, and money was tight but we made it work and I’m sure glad we did. Ebony was very pushy and unsure when we first got her, but we just let her settle and sit in the pasture and be a horse for about three months. We would get her out and have play time in the arena but it was a long while before anyone got on her. When we finally started to ride her she was very uneasy and clearly expected us to force her to do things, so she was slightly reactive to leg pressure etc. But after very slow tedious work, and a ton of positive reinforcement, she became an amazing mount. She was the happiest I’ve ever seen a horse, always wanting me to come and ride her. But she wouldn’t just go for anyone. After working with some friends it became clear, she would only work WELL for me. I had planned to work on that more, but unfortunately I only got about two and a half years of riding before Ebony suddenly became extremely lame and we found some severe arthritis in her elbow probably due to some type of old injury. It was tragic and really hard to get used to the idea of not being able to ride this horse who clearly had come so far and was so happy to work as a team. We tried joint injections and several other things but nothing seemed to help. Now Ebony is a pasture pet, and a very happy one at that. She’s the first horse anyone knew on the farm meets, and she loves attention and people. She’s intrigued by children and is very gentle with them. It’s hard only getting two riding years with a heart horse, but owning horses is much more than riding. She’s my rock solid girl who will always be the one I run to when I’m having a really bad day, or just need to sit and listen to the munching on a hay bag. I mean what can I say. She’s my heart horse
B0A4E81F-B504-43C8-999C-5533F1DA5C9E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom