Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures, Fall-Winter 2013

I've had a backyard flock for 13 years, which included about 8 or 9 varieties. Most died of old age (4 or 5 years old), some got taken by predators. Not once have I ever had a chicken molt.

Wow,
ep.gif
are these chickens OK ... we've had many chickens thru the years and never had any of them go bald while molting ... with our other birds this is a sign or plucking or disease .

Yep, they are okay! It seems to depend on genetics, which chickens molt "explosively" and which ones have a (much more reasonable) tendency to lose just a few feathers at a time and replace them as they go..! I have noticed certain breeds are more prone to doing this. After watching the "worst molt" contest thread for a few years, I've seen a pattern!

Nambroth, I was wondering about that fleece cape. Is this something you made or purchased? Can you give me some information? I have 2 chickens that are molting (easter egger and my black sex link). Unfortunately I have another chicken that keeps getting after the pin feathers on the back of the black sex link. How long does it take for them to regrow the feathers and start laying again?
I made it. I went to the only local craft store and got a cut of fleece from their remnants bin for about $1. I took a rough measurement of my hen (from base of neck to base of tail, and from shoulder to shoulder) and cut a rectangle with rounded corners. I then cut slits for her wings. The fleece is stretchy and soft, and with some patience can be put on over each wing without hurting the hen at all.
I just did a search and this is similar to what I do:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/112898/saddle-patterns-pics-added#post_1315208

The wing slots I cut were just that-- slots, but you could do it the way shown above. The larger you cut the wing holes, the more chance that it will come off on its own, though.
She has no problem flipping up the end of the fleece to access her oil/preen gland when she needs to.

The time period seems to vary depending on the breed and how bad the molt is. Mine take about a month to a month and a half to start looking fully feathered again but they might not lay for two months (some time before and after). It really varies! Giving some extra (quality!) protein will help them build feathers faster. Feathers are made of keratin which is a protein strand.

Last edited:
Girl, I would love to see a picture of your dressed up chicken! That is so funny. And I thought I was a chicken nut....! :)

X4livin and Sandra your babies are going to be cold, well hopefully they will get their feathers back soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom