Ended Official BYC Coop Page Contest #11 - Win a Brinsea ChickSafe Eco Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener!

Pics
coop.PNG

Ski chalet coop, ...Coop is mini me to house...
thadewz.PNG

Reclaimed Wood Pallet Coop
It took the neighbors dog busting through our store bought coop and eliminating our flock to realize I wanted a beefer coop for our new batch of chickens. The neighbor has a machine shop in his garage and he has what could easily be the worlds biggest pallets!! It took some effort to disassemble them, but well worth it.
I wasn't exactly sure of the floor plan. My dad and I sat down and did some crude sketches, but no real floor plan, which means most of it was made on the fly!! We buried the 4x4" posts 2 feet into the ground for stability in Colorado weather. My dad helped with the framing of the coop and run. My son and I put in the individual slates that make up the floor, walls, nesting boxes and using an old stair hand rail for the roosting bars! We put on a recycled metal roof from the neighbors donkey shed. I used hardware cloth for the open air ventilation for the enclosed run, and put in "Rip bars" in honor of the neighbors bird dog! I laid down chicken wire before putting down the "floor" of the run to keep out any predators and to keep the chickens from digging down too far.
There is also a 30' x 10' run they go into every day- unless theres snow, for some reason, my girls won't go outside if theres more than 2" on snow- not that I blame them.I hang their food under the floor of the roosting area. I'm so excited, I just installed a heated rain barrel water bar for the girls since my heated waterer's heater died this winter. In Colorado winter, I have found its no fun carrying back and forth water every morning and night.

Attachments

• 341F50E3-845D-42C0-9F7D-CD89B5C28A4E.jpeg
    341F50E3-845D-42C0-9F7D-CD89B5C28A4E.jpeg
    718.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 56DA35A2-B805-489E-A5F9-FCEAAC29F2DF_4_5005_c.jpeg
    56DA35A2-B805-489E-A5F9-FCEAAC29F2DF_4_5005_c.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 534B7D92-6B46-4607-BDFE-B196D8F2D5FA.jpeg
    534B7D92-6B46-4607-BDFE-B196D8F2D5FA.jpeg
    774.5 KB · Views: 3
  • F3233AB3-0BD3-4805-B177-034C5C22B626_4_5005_c.jpeg
    F3233AB3-0BD3-4805-B177-034C5C22B626_4_5005_c.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reclaimed Wood Pallet Coop
It took the neighbors dog busting through our store bought coop and eliminating our flock to realize I wanted a beefer coop for our new batch of chickens. The neighbor has a machine shop in his garage and he has what could easily be the worlds biggest pallets!! It took some effort to disassemble them, but well worth it.
I wasn't exactly sure of the floor plan. My dad and I sat down and did some crude sketches, but no real floor plan, which means most of it was made on the fly!! We buried the 4x4" posts 2 feet into the ground for stability in Colorado weather. My dad helped with the framing of the coop and run. My son and I put in the individual slates that make up the floor, walls, nesting boxes and using an old stair hand rail for the roosting bars! We put on a recycled metal roof from the neighbors donkey shed. I used hardware cloth for the open air ventilation for the enclosed run, and put in "Rip bars" in honor of the neighbors bird dog! I laid down chicken wire before putting down the "floor" of the run to keep out any predators and to keep the chickens from digging down too far.
There is also a 30' x 10' run they go into every day- unless theres snow, for some reason, my girls won't go outside if theres more than 2" on snow- not that I blame them.I hang their food under the floor of the roosting area. I'm so excited, I just installed a heated rain barrel water bar for the girls since my heated waterer's heater died this winter. In Colorado winter, I have found its no fun carrying back and forth water every morning and night.
Hi there, do you want to enter this contest? If so, can you create an article?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

Back
Top Bottom