Ended Official BYC Mini Contest #2 - Tell us your best chicken story and you c

Aw, Bailey sounds so cute! Haha, such a funny, cute story I can just imagine the confusion on her face! Thanks for sharing with us.
1f60a.png

I am so sorry! It's so hard when hatches don't work out and you spend three weeks waiting and watching and then you don't get any baby Chickies in turn. I hope that this time you get a bunch of them to hatch! Over the next three weeks anytime I think too I'll pray for your little babies in the eggs. Keep us updated and if you need any help or advice along the way I've lived through many of the troubles hatching eggs and my pm box is always open for concerns or questions. =)
It is!!!! Was this your first hatch? I know, baby chickes are always so adorable! I can only dream of having a brinsea also! I've entered a bunch of those contests I've seen places and I've never won one either! If you can get your hands on a Little Giant styrofoam those are actually better than what most people say. I have two, they both get great hatches but do require a little extra "babysitting" but if you're patient and have time on your hands you can get them set and at least mine will actually hold it. I've gotten 11/12 out of my oldest one. I usually get anywhere from 75-90% hatch rates from them. So just my suggestion. What are you using right now? A homemade bator?
No last hatch all quit early and last 1 at day 11. Made a new DIY bator out of plastic tote. It holds temp and humidity great but had an issue with the heater, now fixed and prayers up. Thank you all for the kind word's and help.

No last hatch all quit early and last 1 at day 11. Made a new DIY bator out of plastic tote. It holds temp and humidity great but had an issue with the heater, now fixed and prayers up. Thank you all for the kind word's and help.

I hope it goes well for you this time around!!!

Thanks for sharing, great pic of the two of you.

But, so sorry about your loss.

Is the chick in your avatar Christina?

Thank you for all the condolences- she really was a great little hen and we miss her so!
The chick in my avatar is actually Emma Wats-hen, who I fear may actually be just plain Wats-hen. *Sigh*

Four weeks ago, during a cold snap, one of my hens, Sweetie-the-not-so-sweet, hatched out 5 baby chicks and was moved into the designated broody coop. However, while she got the message to sit on eggs and protect anything under her from intruders, she missed the memo on caring for her babies and not attacking them as intruders. Two days later, she was still not caring for her now three little babies and literally flew the coop to rejoin the flock. Neither of my other broody hens would adopt the chicks, so into the barn went the heat lamp and baby chicks. A few days later, the power shorted and the water overflowed. It was three in the morning, when I had a nightmare that all my baby chicks were dead. I couldn't shake the dream and so I did what any chicken lover would do. I jumped out of bed and ran out to the barn to find my three little babies, soaked and shivering. It was the coldest night that month, I didn't have an extra heat lamp, and the power still wasn't working. With the mental capacity of a few hour's sleep, I took all three fuzzballs, placed them inside an old infinity scarf, and went back to bed with the chicks snuggled nice and warm. When I woke up, I couldn't quite remember all what had happened, but found that all of them were sleeping peacefully next to me. Later that day, with the heat lamp back on, and the water fount drip-free, the chicks went back into the brooder. All was back to normal the next day, except that the smallest one, a tiny thing I never thought would even survive hatching, began to flap and climb the wire walls of the brooder to jump on my shoulder and preen herself by my ear. Now, every time I go out there, Fennway chirrups, flaps up, and even tries to preen my hair from atop her new "adoptive" mama.

That is a very cute and sweet story. I would have loved to see the little girl perching on your shoulder and preening you!

In our first year of taking care of chickens, a lot of crazy things happened because we didn't know what we were doing. One time, one of our Araucana chickens got out and I tried to get her back in. Instead of letting me catch her or lure her back in, she flew onto the roof of the run, then the coop, and then the garage, which was right by the coop. I had to climb the tree by the garage to get on the roof, and catch her without her flying off or me falling off. We have figured out better ways to bring them back into the coop now.

In our first year of taking care of chickens, a lot of crazy things happened because we didn't know what we were doing. One time, one of our Araucana chickens got out and I tried to get her back in. Instead of letting me catch her or lure her back in, she flew onto the roof of the run, then the coop, and then the garage, which was right by the coop. I had to climb the tree by the garage to get on the roof, and catch her without her flying off or me falling off. We have figured out better ways to bring them back into the coop now.
yuckyuck.gif

Oh my, glad you caught her without injuring yourself. I don't have breeds that can fly high, but once saw one glide easily over a very tall fence.

Not an entry: but our first experience at trying to catch a chicken taught us to stand still with treats and not try to catch a running chcken
lau.gif
So wish I had caught my DH's cardio workout on a video.

Not an entry:
Anytime we want to get chickens in now, we use the "chicken bucket." The "chicken bucket" is a bucket that we have in our kitchen that food scraps go in to. The chickens go crazy over it because we've trained them to recognize the sight of the white bucket and the sound of the handle hitting against the side. Sometimes, there's one chicken who refuses to come, but mostly they all come into the run, and I can shut the door.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom