Ended Official BYC Mini Contest Series! - Here is a chance to win one of 33 BYC 2017 Calendars!

celebrate.gif

See? SEE?? I said I wouldn't enter a single contest. I have already entered 3. WHY DOES BYC HAVE TO BE SO ADDICTING?????!!!?????!!!!!!! :th

Last spring we ordered some different heritage breed chickens, I had retired and it seemed like a good time to start. Everything has worked out great the chickens have started laying all are well and happy.
After I ordered the larger chicks from my pet chicken I thought it would be nice to have some silkies too, but it was to late to add them to the order- my bad We happened to be in tractor supply and they had some cute silkies. So we said why not and picked out three that were left. The attendant said there was a minimum of 6. We started to leave but the little black bantams where adorable and I figured half would be males so we got three, we later found out were Dutch bantams and three silkies. It was going to be 2 months before our large breed chicks arrived so it sounded like good practice. One silkie turned out to be male and one Dutch was a rooster which we found a good home for. All the hens thrived the weather was good and the hens went to the coop before the new chicks arrived. When the new chicks where old enough we acclimated them to the bantams and everyone got along just fine. It was funny watching these little bantams being dominant to the other hens even as the larger hens grew. The really funny part was watching the larger chickens starting to figure out hey what am I doing I'm bigger than you. Even now as they are all grown the bantams will still sometimes try the bigger hens. They will run up and do that kind of chest bum thing flair there neck feathers and then run away. Some of the larger chickens, especially Saphira our largest Australorpe will look at them like are you stupid. Some of the other hens will start to back down and go wait a minute I'm bigger than you and stand up to them. All in all everyone gets along great. Very little pecking. They even get along will with the dogs.
As a side note I would be aware of chicks from tractor supply as you don't know where they come from or the breeding. The silkies we got are buffs but not all, they have some gray in there tail feathers, not that it matters to us but it might to some. One of the Dutch is also not pure Dutch but we love Chicadee just the same
It is usually not a good idea to make spur of the moment purchases with pets but this has all worked out fine
Papa Jerry

So I live in Phoenix Az, and here in the summer it is rare for it to rain. And I have 6, 4 month old chickens which I got recently. So one day they were free-ranging, and then it rained. They kept on squacking and running back and forth
D.gif
(There was a lot of placed to hide) and they didn't even try looking for a place to hide. I came out there and tried to catch them, but they freaked out even more. Finally I had to let them into the house, and then catch them in there to put them into their coop. After that it took them a long time to trust me again because they seem to blame me for every problem that ever happens to them.

So I live in Phoenix Az, and here in the summer it is rare for it to rain. And I have 6, 4 month old chickens which I got recently. So one day they were free-ranging, and then it rained. They kept on squacking and running back and forth :cd (There was a lot of placed to hide) and they didn't even try looking for a place to hide. I came out there and tried to catch them, but they freaked out even more. Finally I had to let them into the house, and then catch them in there to put them into their coop. After that it took them a long time to trust me again because they seem to blame me for every problem that ever happens to them.

Silly little things
1f601.png
! When we had just 4 chickens it was doable to just pick 'em up and plop them in the coop. Now we have 25 and the only way I can get them all at once is to shake, shake, shake that scratch can
1f609.png
. Seriously, they can hear it for miles!

Just a reminder for anyone thinking of entering one (or more, lol) of these mini contests:

Entries will be accepted until Sunday the 11th of December...that's only 1 week away!

Back
Top Bottom