Official BYC Poll: Do You Feed Your Chickens Cicadas?

Do You Feed Your Chickens Cicadas?

• I let my chickens feast on them while free ranging and they love them

Votes: 80 35.2%
  • I harvest them and throw them to my run-confined chickens & they love them

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I collect the surplus cicadas and freeze them for my chickens to feast on in winter

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • No, I'm not sure if they're good for chickens

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • No, my chickens don't like them

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • We don't have any cicadas where I'm located

Votes: 104 45.8%
  • What are Cicadas?

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 21 9.3%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Chickens are scavengers. Foragers. Omnivores. Chicken love to eat a wide variety of insects & worms. Like most bugs, Cicadas are high in protein, low in fat and carbohydrates. This high protein bug and beneficial microbes are a favorite treat, and this free food not only improves the quality of the eggs, but it also reduces the amount of feed you have to buy.

This summer marks the much-anticipated mass-emergence of Brood X (Ten) cicadas which will see billions of them surfacing after 17 years underground. So, the question begs: Do You Feed Your Chickens Cicadas?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

official byc poll.png

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited:
I was going to try to do the "no feed for an hour, just water" thing with my new chicks. But the first thing they did straight out of the box after taking a sip of water was to start eating the bugs that had died under the heat lamp the night before (outdoor brooder).

So I had to add grit right away -- and feed too so they'd know what they were supposed to eat instead of just grit.

I am not seeing any here in Florida so far, which is a good thing but if they do show, sure, let them eat their hearts out, it's free food that I am not paying for. I already have a buglamp I modified to stun instead of fry and it doinks beetles moths etc that fall into a collection jar on the bottom and in the morning, I empty into 4 eagerly awaiting tummy's.

From my scientific calculatons, Bug + Electricity + Chicken (Catalyst) = Eggs for breakfast. and as an alternative reaction Bug + Electricity + Beer = Breakfast AND Entertainment. These formulas has been proven Many times over however the beer one seems to work better in the south!

:)

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom