Official BYC Poll: Do You Feed Your Chickens Cicadas?

Do You Feed Your Chickens Cicadas?

• I let my chickens feast on them while free ranging and they love them

Votes: 80 35.2%
  • I harvest them and throw them to my run-confined chickens & they love them

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I collect the surplus cicadas and freeze them for my chickens to feast on in winter

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • No, I'm not sure if they're good for chickens

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • No, my chickens don't like them

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • We don't have any cicadas where I'm located

Votes: 104 45.8%
  • What are Cicadas?

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 21 9.3%

• Total voters
Pics
I don’t think we get cicadas here in Oregon.
Lots of different cicadas in different areas and climates. I see some most years(here in the hardwood forest of west Tennessee) and vast hordes every great once in a while. We have not had a swarm here this year, yet. I don't know about out west, but swarms from Arkansas to Georgia across the south some years. I think there has been a less grand hatch the last 25 years or so, perhaps due to forest/prairie destruction and pollution/pesticides.

Not cicadas ‘cause I like them and hearing their song at night. But I did toss a grasshopper on the brooder. I got a huge kick out of the babies chasing that nasty bug all over the cage.

(I don’t use insecticides if I can avoid it because I eat from my garden, but the ‘hoppers drive me nuts, chewing on my plants. So, I take an evil delight in watching the Circle of Life in action with them.)

We went through the 17 year onslaught and my girls couldn’t have been happier. They’d only eat live ones. I’m sure they miss these treats. We have the regular sounds of the yearly summer cicadas, but we seldom see them.

Back
Top Bottom