Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Feed Costs Low?

How Do You Keep Your Feed Costs Low?

• I Let My Chickens Free Range & Forage

Votes: 164 64.8%
  • I Keep My Flock Size Small

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I Prevent Feed Spillage & Waste

Votes: 127 50.2%
  • I Keep Wild Birds & Other Pests Away from their Feeders

Votes: 95 37.5%
  • I Feed Them Fermented Feed

Votes: 45 17.8%
  • I Occasionally Supplement with Sprout Grains & Fodder

Votes: 36 14.2%
  • I Buy Their Feed from a Local Feed Mill

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I Buy Their Feed in Bulk

Votes: 45 17.8%
  • I Feed Them Table Scraps Now & Then

Votes: 158 62.5%
  • I Make Their Feed Myself

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 20 7.9%

• Total voters
I let my chickens free range during the day (not a huge area, but it's pretty big); I ferment feed for many reasons, one is that the chickens don't waste of spill any and wild birds don't eat their food; I sprout grains and fodder; I buy their feed locally and it is cheap, though still the best quality around; and I consistently feed them table scraps!

This year I plan on trying grazing boxes and raising Black Soldier Fly larvae!

I keep my flock as small as possible, but I don't think it would actually classify as "small" :D
I’m curious about black soldier fly larva. I’ve seen all sorts of post about how to make a box for them, but I never could quite figure out if the soldier flies just find the box in their own or if you start with grubs purchased from somewhere . . . could you answer my question? I’d really love to try them, but I don’t know if they’re even where I live.

I’m curious about black soldier fly larva. I’ve seen all sorts of post about how to make a box for them, but I never could quite figure out if the soldier flies just find the box in their own or if you start with grubs purchased from somewhere . . . could you answer my question? I’d really love to try them, but I don’t know if they’re even where I live.
From what I've heard, you have to buy (or find) the larvae. Also from what I've heard, you have to buy new ones every year. But I'm trying to think up a way to avoid that. Maybe they could overwinter in a greenhouse? I guess we'll see.
Thanks for the reminder, I need to start that box!

I only pay $34 for a 50 pound bag of organic layer pellets and I thinkt it lasts about 6 weeks, pretty cheap ratio to keep 8 pets. It’s not like they’re going to the vet all the time like a dog and cost me $500 a visit. That figures out to only about $5.60 a week for eight pets! I did spend about $1500 building their coop and their run, but I figured that well divide out over about 10 years, So that it doesn’t figure out to that much per month. Oh, I do spend about $40 a month on special treats like mealworms and stuff. I grow them sprouts and micro greens and tons of kale.I make sure they don’t spill their feed and waste it, but I still consider it really cheap entertainment! It cost $12 to just get into the movies and then you have to buy popcorn and snacks. It usually cost about $30 just to go out for one meal! I think chickens are so cheap and so entertaining that they are worth every penny that I spend on them and more!
I love your response!

I made a bunch of feeders with 2" PVC elbows and I swear it cut my feed bill in 1/2. No more doves and wild bird freeloaders. I feed scraps, free range, raise mealworms, have them sift through my compost and I actively hunt for bugs for them lol. I go through about 1.5 bags of crumble a month for my 20+ birds and no one is starving- food is available to them all of the time.
20201101_104954~2.jpg
20210223_105008~2.jpg

• I have 7 small bantams. They eat (and poop) way less than normal sized layers.
  • A neighbour cat often visits the net covered run to keep the mice out.
  • Only small songbirds can fly through the netting to eat from the grains I scatter in the run every day.

Other things I do that save money are the obvious:
  • letting them free range when possible with minimum risks (during the day + at home).
  • Put the feed in the more open part (hwc) of the coop where they dont sleep)
  • They get a little table scraps if available. And I feed back the egg shells

I need only one bag 12,5 kg laying mix every 5-6 weeks and 1 bag 12,5 kg scratch mix every 2+ months.
Because I buy organic (healtier for me and my chickens , the rainforests and environment) the feed I choose is not cheap. At the start of winter I buy a bag mealworms and hemp seed that last until spring (16 euro).
I spend less than 20 euro 💶 on feed every month.

My chickens certainly are worth the cost for all the joy and small egg (30-35g) they give me.

I feed my 13 chickens feed that they like, and they don’t spill it or waste it. They like Purina Flock Raiser. I put it in big dog bowls. That’s it.
I used to ferment feed but it was a hassle in the winter. They got used to dry feed and it makes things a lot easier.

Chickens aren’t expensive relatively speaking but I do try to keep an eye on feed intake and feed outtake (poop) to stay balanced.

I cook for five large dogs everyday so every other critter here gets a convenience food from a sack. For my chickens that means Purina Flock Raiser and Layena. I buy from a local feed store that picks up from the local Purina feed mill. It doesn’t save me but I never have to worry about stale food or insect infestations. They absolutely love their food and even though they free range on rotation, they don’t seem to get much or they simply prefer their feed over the morsels they encounter during the day. We’ve had more hawks and way more wild birds than usual lately so I’ve restricted the free ranging and it doesn’t make any difference in their feed intake.

I do so much to keep my costs around $60/mo for 50 chickens (winter costs). I buy from a local mill, free range them, offer fermented feed, use spill resistant feeders for the free choice mash, give table snacks and fresh fruits and veggies.

We just started a mealworm farm too and will be growing extra food in the garden for them. So I am hoping as weather warms up, grass grows, and bugs come out, the cost goes down even more. 🤞🤞

Mine get free range time, but the amount I spend on feed, treats, and fodder offsets that. I use the rentacoop feeders, that they have to stick their head in, so there's almost no waste. The flock raiser is only $17.29 for a 50lb. bag, and it lasts about 2 weeks. I don't think it costs much to feed them, but I only have 15 birds.
I have the Rent A Coop DYI no waste small and large chick feeders. Soon they will graduate to the adults. I also have the water cups and nipples to reduce mess and keep bedding drier.

Back
Top Bottom