Official BYC Poll: How Important Is It That You Get Eggs From Your Chickens?

How Important Is It That You Get Eggs From Your Chickens?

• Very Important

Votes: 108 25.4%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 118 27.8%
  • Not Important

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • It's a Nice Benefit

Votes: 156 36.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 17 4.0%

• Total voters
Very important ..... As the economy deteriorates I look for things to get scarce and expensive. Eggs are just one more commodity we can use, share, barter, or sell with family, friends, and strangers of a like mind.

Anyone paying attention to grocery prices and quality? Grim.

I got chickens because I wanted chickens, however I have always preferred the heritage, dual purpose, broody, etc aspects of having chickens. I don't agree with the definition of VERY IMPORTANT being artificial lights and production breeds. Eggs are a very important factor in my having chickens because the money I don't spend at the store on eggs is what I use to buy feed for my birds. They are pets, friends, beauty, life, peace, and so much more to me, but I have to earn my living, and so do they.

Earlier I said “it’s a nice benefit” but I’m kind of in between that and “somewhat important” because I am going to start selling eggs to pay for their feed.

Is it unreasonable to sell eggs at 5$ a dozen if they’re organic? I only have 16 chickens, and three are chicks who I don’t know their gender, and a few are slowing down.

Earlier I said “it’s a nice benefit” but I’m kind of in between that and “somewhat important” because I am going to start selling eggs to pay for their feed.

Is it unreasonable to sell eggs at 5$ a dozen if they’re organic? I only have 16 chickens, and three are chicks who I don’t know their gender, and a few are slowing down.
I pay 4.50 to 6.50 for a dozen organic pastured eggs.

They aint giving me eggs they will be giving me meat. Only freeloader to that rule is the rooster but he provides some protection and fertilize the eggs so I can hatch replacements.

I probably am “it’s a nice benefit”. The eggs are great, and 100% better than store ones, and I do keep an eye on production. However I have never culled my hens for lowering production as they are pets with benefits to my thinking. I don’t eat meat, so quality eggs are an important nutritional source for family and something we want to improve on. We had a flock of different breeds and hybrid lines, standard and bantam breeds. We do not artificially encourage egg laying, just what we get is what we get. However we do want to improve the egg laying in the flock.

Current breeds are not production breeds, but I do have my favorites of those too. I do think the home eggs are very important, despite our laid back attitude.

Some breeds we keep for cool genetic factors, not just eggs...

We definitely like EEs, Various Brown egg hybrids, RIR, and Marans for eggs so far... my EEs were laying regularly at 5 years till stolen this year along with a lot of the flock. Waiting for replacement chicks to arrive, so long away our delivery date. Our escape artist hens who the thieves could not catch are all Phoenix and Swedish or Ayams we hatched in 2020... in fact every bird we have left was from hatching eggs all the hatchery line birds were stolen. So we are starting over...

We are adding more Phoenix, and other long tail breeds. Replacing the Marans. EEs replacing and Crested Legbars pure and hybrids are being added. In addition we are introducing Egyptian Fayoumi which are a light, tough breed known to start laying sooner than other breeds... opposite end of spectrum we ordered Saipan JF. Also D’Uccles because husband loves those cute little chickens.

I currently have 12 hens so I get a lot of eggs
Most of them (my Delaware, Orpington, Wyandottes, black sexlink) all lay light creamy brown to pinkish eggs
My red sexlink and my welsummer lay medium brown eggs sometimes speckled
My marans lays purplish brown eggs but she just started laying
And my 10 year old Easter egger occasionally gives me blue or green eggs
I also have 3 pullets that haven’t started laying yet one of them should be laying olive eggs

Back
Top Bottom