Official BYC Poll: How Important Is It That You Get Eggs From Your Chickens?

How Important Is It That You Get Eggs From Your Chickens?

• Very Important

Votes: 108 25.4%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 118 27.8%
  • Not Important

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • It's a Nice Benefit

Votes: 156 36.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 17 4.0%

• Total voters
I got chickens for the eggs, 5 years ago.
My first batch of chicks were a Red sex-links, excellent layers.
I bought them as early spring chicks and they laid through the first 2 winters.
My second batch of chicks were Barred Rocks, and were excellent layers the first year, but took a break for winter molt after a year old.
They were late summer Chicks mid-August.
I missed not getting many eggs during winter, I eat 2 eggs daily, 5 or 6 days a week and have 3 regular customers.
My third batch of chicks are Red sex-links and lay daily. They just turned 1 year old, my Barred Rocks are 32 months old and the 2 Rocks that lay gave me 11 eggs the past 7 days, no complaints here.
My 4 sex-links gave me 28 eggs the past week.
20210430_214645_resized.jpg

The downside to sex-links is they can start having egg laying problems at 2 years of age. My oldest was 50 months old.

I do add lights in the morning at 5 am year round.
None in the evening.
20201204_052206_resized_1.jpg

GC

I have 13 chickens. I do like getting eggs, 6 of the chickens are laying while 7 are going to lay in 3 months.

They are practically only pets, though I do enjoy cooking with eggs. It can save a lot of money, as when I buy from the grocery store I buy the nice ones (usually $6 a dozen.)

So it’s a nice benefit, I have 13 different breeds, which are only pets (and emotional support animals)

Though when I have more space I might start an egg business when eggs may be more important.

Though my neighbors do appreciate the free eggs.

For me, its not important at all. If it was a thing, I would probably buy chickens that only 10-15 eggs a year, like their wild ancestors.
My parents on the other hand, are completely different. Its very important to them, though when I'm buying chicken breeds, I just tell them, "yep, they lay plenty of eggs" and that's all they need to hear.
If it was up to them, they would cull all the old birds, (that would be every bird we have) and get new chickens. They don't know very much about chickens other then basic, coop, run, predator protection, so I get to make all the decisions. :D

I chose very important. I light the coop in winter and get rid of any not laying. They are not pets to me, they are livestock. I can't feed livestock that can't feed me back. I enjoy having my chickens but hate waiting for them to be old enough to lay. That's one reason chicken math doesn't affect me. Chicks are cute but the waiting is annoying. I hate starting over but do if the older girls stop laying

It’s somewhat important. I do focus on breeds that are productive layers but I don’t mind the occasional broody or older hen that isn’t laying. In my mind the broody is still doing a job hatching and raising more layers or meat birds and the older hen has earned her keep by her years of laying. I don’t use lights either since I don’t think it is healthy. Instead I make sure to have a few first year layers in the flock since they usually lay through the winter. Having birds that are productive is important to me because I sell eggs and I eat a lot of eggs. It’s why I got started raising chickens.

I have 3 wonderful chickens (hopefully 2 more soon🤞) and I chose that the eggs are a nice benefit. I really enjoy my chickens company and personalities! Their eggs are always a nice addition, as I do eat them pretty often. I usually get 2-3 a day! Luckily my girls are pretty good layers, because that's how I sold my dad on getting chickens! I never got started on raising chickens specifically for eggs anyway so its always been a nice plus!

Last edited:
This is a tough question. If they are not producing, well that IS a bummer, but what's going on with her? Attitude and stuff counts a LOT with me. (Yes yes, I am one of those asshats who fell in love with his damned chickens and treats them like part of the family(

I know people that as soon as she is not laying or gets a few years old, into the cooking pot she goes. Me now, yes I like eggs, but if they are friendly, which so far all of mine are VERY friendly. I can't see myself holding it against them if they are not pushing an egg every day.

Im happy what they can give me and try to keep them happy, and yes, it's JUST a chicken so they say but I can almost guarantee I am going to cry like a big stupid baby the day they pass too.

I tried to make a pact with myself that I will NOT bury another pet because it hurts to do so,..I bought a cockatoo... good choice!! .... then a got a bunch of chickens. So much for common sense.

Aaron

I checked somewhat important. I bought chickens for the eggs originally, but became hooked on them and their antics. Chicken TV is a favorite pastime for both myself and my husband. We have built them a Taj. Mahal of chicken coops. I have discovered that my friends and my hairdresser are loving the eggs. I don't charge for them, with 8 hens we are getting at least three dozen a week that we can give away. I'm sure production will get leaner in the winter, we will just educate all of our friends about winter laying.

Back
Top Bottom