Official BYC Poll: What type of COOP bedding do you like best?

Which type of COOP bedding do you like best?

• Total voters
Pics
Hemp all day! No smell, and absorbent
PXL_20210502_190242421.jpg

I use hay. The straw sold here is terrible quality and moldy too. I can use a quarter of the amount of hay to straw because the quality is so much better. I am interested in maybe switching to sand though.

I built an add on for some young ones and it just has a dirt and grass floor. When they are old enough I will let my Rooster sleep in there. The rest of the coop has pine shavings. I'm going to try hemp soon.
Did you end up trying it?

The very bottom of our coop is plywood with linoleum over that (I wanted something easily cleaned when the time came). On top of that, I use a mixture of pine shavings and shredded paper. I really hate paper waste and when I discovered that you can actually use shredded paper I was so happy. I just mix the two together. I find that the paper also entertains the girls. Haven't had any of them trying to eat it, but they love to play with it. This winter I will be using the deep litter method.

I use hemp bedding. I used straw in the past and found it held too much moisture + it gave my entire flock bumblefoot (because of me not realizing the moisture issue in time). I find that hemp stays drier and thus lighter than straw and is easier to manage, along with being less dusty than either straw or shavings.

Back
Top Bottom