Official BYC Poll: When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

• I don't have chickens yet.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I don't travel! I don't want to leave my girls with anyone.

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • I have someone care for them in exchange for the free eggs!

Votes: 59 32.4%
  • I have someone care for them, but I pay them as well as give them the eggs!

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • I have someone care for them, but I don't let them take my eggs.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • I haven't needed to travel yet.

Votes: 31 17.0%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
You're tired and jaded and need a break, but you can't figure out who could take care of your flock as well as you could? Even the most devoted chicken lover needs a break sometimes. However, we cannot figure out how to ensure that our chickens are as well taken care of as we would like. Perhaps you have to leave your home for another reason: perhaps a family emergency, or perhaps you have to work away.

So we would like to find out: When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

Place your votes above, and please share your thoughts and experiences in reply to this thread. :highfive:

official byc poll (5).png

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

We left our chickens with a family who wanted experience taking care of chickens (and Quail). They took the eggs but there wasn’t really any payment. We were away for 3 weeks and if they left the eggs the eggs would likely explode. We did offer them money but they didn’t want it.

Last edited:
We have several neighbors who are happy to take care of our chickens when we are away for a weekend or longer. They live just 10-100 meters away. And we have an automatic pop door to make it easy for them.
They get the free eggs and often a small gift as a thank you.

We take care of their animals (cats, pig, fish, bearded dragon) when they are on a trip/vacation. And often get a small 🎁 to say thank you in return.

Last edited:
I USED to travel. A much-trusted friend, whose husband was working/living overseas, used to stay in my house and take care of the menagerie (chickens, ducks, geese, sheep, goats, dogs and cats). She never wanted paid, just enjoyed hanging out with animals in the country. However, I did always bring her a small gift and told her to eat anything in the house, use the washer and dryer, do whatever she needed/wanted. However, he has now returned, and they are living in another state.

My only other experiences with someone else caring for my critters have not been great, although the people involved were well-meaning. One, who didn't know anything about poultry, couldn't figure out what to feed anybody and bought feather-fixer (no one was molting, BTW) instead of using the all-flock feed that was already here. Another, a very experienced poultry keeper, didn't lock up my love-to-go-wandering runner ducks; I came home to find them LOOSE in the little area beside their shelter. Thankfully, all were still alive and accounted for.

On Monday, I am meeting with a fellow who works for a farmer and knows a lot of rural folks in this area who possibly will be able to care for my critters. I am hopeful that I will be able to go somewhere again someday. I have not left home for more than a few hours since September.

Back
Top Bottom