Official BYC Poll: When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

• I don't have chickens yet.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I don't travel! I don't want to leave my girls with anyone.

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • I have someone care for them in exchange for the free eggs!

Votes: 59 32.4%
  • I have someone care for them, but I pay them as well as give them the eggs!

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • I have someone care for them, but I don't let them take my eggs.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • I haven't needed to travel yet.

Votes: 31 17.0%

• Total voters
I've only traveled twice since getting my flock. The first time, I had to hire someone randomly from Craigslist because the person to whom I'd been referred had a last-minute conflict. My initial reaction was that the Craigslist person was flaky, and I was reluctant to hire her. But, after we met, she seemed like she'd be okay. She grew up on a ranch, and her family had had a flock of chickens. She was aware of predator problems and acknowledged how important it is to keep the chickens' coop/run schedule for safety. I asked her if she would come 3x/day and agreed to pay her for each trip. I explained I had ALREADY had foxes in the yard trying to get the chickens, so it's necessary to corral them in their hardware cloth-secured run before dusk and then lock the coop door after dark when they've gone to bed. I followed up with written instructions in an email and was flexible about timing for the pre-dusk visit giving the latest time by which they needed to be closed in the run while agreeing that earlier, even a few hours earlier, would be acceptable if that's what worked in her schedule. I also gave the earliest time they should be let out of the coop--to avoid early morning foxes and raccoons that may still be out wandering--again being flexible if she needed to arrive a bit later.

Based on a text message she sent me the second day of my trip, I figured out she was going over midday, around noon, just to watch them, not secure them in their run or anything else! I was frantic, and she wasn't promptly responding to my messages. I finally got her straightened out about dusk, and the chickens were very lucky not to have been attacked when they were exposed in the evenings. But, she also arrived before dawn to let them out in the mornings. And, her invoice still charged me for the useless midday visits. Needless to say, I will not be hiring her again.

The second time I left, I only trusted my mom to help out. Not only does she understand the significance of the timing, she is patient enough to work with the flock. At that time, the flock was bullying on one of my chickens, and she was therefore reluctant to go in the run with everyone else. It took finesse and time to coax her in there. So, my mom sweetly agreed to drive quite a distance every day to make sure things were done correctly. I knew she wouldn't take cash, so I left her restaurant gift cards to grab breakfast and dinner on her way. She left the gift cards behind without using any of them.

I don't have any plans to travel, but I imagine something will arise. I'm currently working on a bigger run for the flock that will be covered on all sides and the top with chain link. The immediate need is to protect them from the hawk who showed up last fall (they've had bird netting for several months, but it's not a workable long-term solution). I'm hopeful it will serve as fox protection, too, and help me feel more comfortable should I need to be gone at some point.

You forgot Other.

I set up my birds so they can take care of themselves while I'm gone with occasionally someone coming down to check on them and refill feeders and waterers. I also let them keep the eggs if they want them.

It’s never been an issue honestly. We’ve got a rescue dog dog that doesn’t do well with strangers so there’s always at least one family member who stays home for her and the rest look after the chickens. If I went somewhere and took the dog I’d ask the neighbor to come look after them. She has chickens including a few she got from me.

I don’t have chicken yet but would an automatic door not be good enough for the chickens if they’re trained to go in and come out on their own ?
They will definitely go inside the coop on their own for the night and come out in the morning. I don't have experience with an automatic door. Some people swear by them, but I'm too nervous to trust one. One of my chickens really pushes the limits for getting in the coop by dark, so I'd worry she may get locked out. And, I've had foxes show up much earlier than the chickens will go inside the coop on their own. So, their safety would depend on the rest of your setup. The run I currently have for them attached to their coop and secured all around with hardware cloth is too small to make them stay in all day. They have a larger yard that's covered with bird netting where they spend most of the day.

Back
Top Bottom