Official BYC Poll: Where Do You Buy Your Feed From & Why?

Where do you buy feed (and explain why below)?

• Total voters
Thanks! I clicked on the link and it looks like online orders are for local pickup only, although maybe that will change post-pandemic.
Oh shoot! Well, I hope they do begin to ship. They're the best. I think it's this cheap because we're in the corn belt (as far as the eye can see in the summer). They would be wise to begin shipping.

Wow I am jealous. I live in a small secluded town and only have Ace hardware as a local option. Their food is less quality and more expensive than TSC so I stock up whenever I am out of town. I am going to have to start looking around for better options when out of town after reading all your answers.

Wow I am jealous. I live in a small secluded town and only have Ace hardware as a local option. Their food is less quality and more expensive than TSC so I stock up whenever I am out of town. I am going to have to start looking around for better options when out of town after reading all your answers.
Don't stock up too much. I've read on here that it is best to buy the feed with less than a one month old mill date and to then use it within 1-2 months.
Good luck finding your solution.

I have purchased from Blue Seal and Tractor Supply. But, I now feed organic, non-GMO feed that a local feed mill concocts for my specific needs- layers, growers, chicks, ducks, geese, goats, and horse.
I can buy this organic, non-GMO feed CHEAPER than any feed store regular feed! As for my dogs and cats, I buy through Chewy, as their Customer Service and prices are cheaper than anything around here for the HIGHEST quality Holistic and non-GMO fed protein dog food I found! It's called Health Extensions, and they have multiple protein sources (in case your dogs are allergic) I've found that even my allergic Rottweiler who can't eat chicken, can actually eat THEIR deboned chicken and brown rice formula!! It's not completely grain free, ad it contains oats, plus pre- & probiotics, a lot of berries, and nutritious foodstuffs that dogs would normally browse on! I'm a dog breeder and I show my dogs, and I've my BS in Animal Science, a Professional Dog Trainer, and I'm a retired ACO. I truly, and completely believe that GMO's are at the root of almost all allergies AND cancers, so thought I'd pass this information on! I think everyone should Google their local feed Mills, and see what they charge for their feed. It may surprise you on the prices and quality of feed that you can provide a healthier alternative for your birds! (And, be able to sell egg and meat products for more! Ie. I bought some Turkeys for meat, and I sold the meat for $5.50/lb LIVE WEIGHT! Even though they were super friendly, I don't like Turkeys anymore, as they picked up several chicks that my hen hatched out and was mothering quite well, shook them and killed 4, and maimed 2 others in front of me before I could get the Turkeys away.🤬 That may be there attempt of survival for resources, but I like a harmonious relationship between my animals 😉

I am jealous of many of your options. My nearest feed store is 20 miles away, and charges 30% premium over the nearest TSC(27 miles + bridge toll). I got a few bags of Nutrena layers at 17-18 per 50lb bag; just got Dumor this time. See some differences in egg yolk color as Nutrena adds marigolds extract which makes the yolk look more orange yellow.

I just checked prices at Tractor Supply. The cheapest 50lb bag of layer feed is $15 bucks. That’s $4 higher than the $11 a bag for MG layer crumble I get at the nearest feed store to my house and that price has remained consistent over the past 2 years. I don’t get all these folks in previous comments saying that TSC has better prices or is somehow a better value. I’m not talking about “support your local business” or anything like that. Straight-up, the local feed store beats TSC on prices for everything and by a wide margin, at least in my part of Texas.
Same here in Nebraska. Local feed store, then its a tie between Orscheln's and Bomgaars.

I usually purchase mine from a local feed store. They specialize in most all animals.
Right now for my chickens I feed a 17% high Omega Kalmbach for the eggs. The two roosters don't mind either. On a daily basis I give them a little scratch feed in the evening. Sometimes with added meal worms. That gets them paying attention. Plus the protein. A total of 15 hens and 2 roosters.

Back
Top Bottom