• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
What are some good ideas for getting your chickens to stay in the yard? I have been trying to get my chickens to stay in the yard for bug control but they keep wondering off ! What should I do ?
Let me know when you find out. We are trying to put different grasses and barley and such in our yard. Planted some pine trees since that is what the neighbor has that they like so much. Making it interesting at home. Did this for my cats and it worked fairly well.

I wanted to have a pet and was used to having dogs and cats. My husband is seriously allergic. I was not raised in a rurual environment...a real city girl, but decided one day to have chickens.

I didn't know anything about keeping chickens. So, I educated myself by finding several other suburban people who had chickens. I visited their homes, read, read, read and found Backyardchickens.com.

Keeping chickens now...12 years later, has given me so much joy. I can't imagine life without them. They are so much more than just pets, egg layers and entertainment. They are family.

My "other" is to help my children get over their fear of touching animals. It has helped, really. Last time we went to the zoo, they went inside the petting zoo and actually petted a pony, and they asked to go on the camel ride. Both things were unthinkable before we had chickens.

We decided to get chickens as pets and for the eggs, not for meat birds at all. Although they are now basically past the 'laying stage', because they're getting a bit lazy (and old!) they are still fun to have as pets and they are pretty amusing to watch with their chicken antics!

Last edited:
I'm a farm-raised girl trapped in the suburbs! I traded my horse for a Great Dane, my barn cats are now indoor cats, and raising the few chickens allowed by my town keeps me sane enough to face the daily commuting hell!
Also gets my kids back to their farmer heritage...

I just had to put this in here as I'm sure to get a few laughs...
My other reason for keeping chickens: they irritate my husband! Lmao :)

Watching chickens is better than watching TV- much more entertaining!
I totally agree!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom