• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
that is My dream also.... Don't tell My wife.. I planning on having it in Flordia when I retire... looking to buy 40-60 acres and go for it.. be primarily a chicken and pig farmer for meat and eggs, but love the petting zoo idea

Last edited:
Commenting to note my "other" vote: To get even with annoying neighbors.
gig.gif

I originally got my three hens for bug control, but now I also love them as pets and I love getting the eggs, too. But the bug control has also really helped out my garden, no more grasshoppers!

When I bought my farm, I knew I would not be able to raise larger hoofstock profitably on such a small place (7.5 acres.) So, I started with ornamental poultry and rabbits. I liked it because at the time I bought our place, my son was very small and he was very attached to the animals, so raising meat animals was out. Instead I focused on breeds that are primarily egg layers, pets or ornamentals, like Leghorns, Polish and Cochins, and Netherland Dwarf bunnies. I got into some of the fancy breeds by hanging out with other breeders, and the Polish and Lakenvelders were my absolute favorites in the chickens.I also had call ducks and a few Mandarins. We managed to carve out a pretty decent side income until I got sidelined by injury, but now that my son is grown he wants to start up the farm again, and has started his new venture with dual purpose breeds this time. So now we have Astralorps and Brahmas, with a few Production Reds to make eggs for the table. This week, I just hatched out my new tiny flock of Golden Lakenvelders, which my son has graciously agreed to help me keep track of. I didn't realize how much I had missed this until the peeps started hatching, boy this is great how did I do without this for five years now LOL!

(My) OTHERS:
1. They gang up on and "control" stray/feral cats, water moccasins, copperheads, snapping turtles and squirrels.
2. They eat any snake, frog or lizard they can get down their throat holes, even if they have to kill it as a pack and tear it to shreds for sharing.
3. They've learned that "HAALP! BUG!!! ICKY BUG!!!" means run, don't walk, becasue I just saw a giant cricket, giant cicada or giant grasshopper. They race each other to save me from the creepy, and fight over who gets the *treat*.
4. It freaks my neighbors out to see a chicken navigating from my shoulder while I mow the pasture.

Back
Top Bottom