• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
What are some good ideas for getting your chickens to stay in the yard? I have been trying to get my chickens to stay in the yard for bug control but they keep wondering off ! What should I do ?

I use the chooks for gardening chores! They till down grass and weeds for new garden space, till under the vines and used plants, and remove garden pests!

It is a breeding / genetics thing...I gotta have something and it fills that addiciton thing...I figured meat was for us...I also feed my extra roos to my other pets...snakes
well.. now I haddent thought of that... may be able to Craigs list .. the extra's.. hummm!
My Kids Have ALLERGIES to fur, so it makes for a limited amount of pets they can have.
Birds are a great option but I was wanting a PET, not a display. a lot of pet birds are sweet Little things that are more for show, finches, ext.
Chickens are able to be interacted with, you can hold, pet, and train them. They are inexpensive in comparison to Parrots, and other birds.
There is a Huge variety in the breed of chickens to choose from. as well as Ducks, swine and EXT.
They also bonus us with EGGS, FERTILIZER, BUG CONTROL, and are LIVING COMPOSERS.
Can you tell I'll be going to court about my chickens next week ...lol
Good luck.. in court.. I'm with you..
I sure wish I knew who that quote was from! It is very nice.
I found it.. no guarantee's.. that . its authentic.. from here http://www.peakoilblues.org/blog/?p=1533
its real ..
“You are not keeping them, of course, to make or even to save money. You are not keeping them as pets. You are keeping them for the simple pleasure of their company and the beauty and tastiness of their eggs and their meat. You are raising them because you wish to strike a modest blow for the liberation of the chicken–and indeed, of all living things on earth.”
Charles Daniel & Page Smith
om here http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Book-Page-Smith/dp/082032213X
Found it.... looks like a good book.

read the page on google books p341
http://books.google.com/books?id=dV...a=X&ei=faJoUYOIEq-02AXdr4HwAg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA

Last edited:
I was speaking with a reporter today and he asked my the % of people that raise chickens for different purposes. I had a general idea, but thought I'd get a more accurate response with a poll.

Select all that apply. If I don't have your reason mentioned please post that reason as a reply to this thread.

Thanks!
NIfty.. I cant believe what a good poll this is.. in that .. I have seen so many people who have been members for 5-10 years and have post's under 20 .. ie . they didnt reach out .. and this . poll has really touched many .. of us ( I'll talk for the rest.. ) .
Edit... just realized this was started in 09 - silly new egg.. me..
It also looks like ... For the Health of it.. could have been an option .. weather its physical health , mental health, social health.. it looks like most of us would add this into the - why we keep chickens .... even if it wasnt why we started keeping chickens..

I almost didnt read this thread.. ( I have so many others to keep up with .. ) but I'm glad i did. and Thank you for starting this.

Last edited:
I first began raising chickens for eggs. But, now, it's for meat, bug control, fertilizer, as well as, for being a "pet". While they're not pets like some people's chickens are, they are so much fun and enjoyable to be around. I also now use them for composting, since they just love to scratch and dig!

Back
Top Bottom