• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
Z8Hannah.......
I bet children do make great chicken wranglers! We've handled my Silkies since we bought them at 2 days old and they are quite tame. I've seen some chickens who are mostly bred for eggs and they completely freak out whenever a human comes near them! And that's fine too if that's what they are mostly kept for. I like mine to be tame, and more like pets. They are so much more enjoyable when they follow you around the yard and greet you when you go out to the yard.

Last edited:
Bernadine503- The grandkids have a couple of silkie hens. They are favorites with the 2 younger kids, so tame and easy to handle, and so fluffy!

z8hannah

I got my daughter 2 silkies as I think it's important for children to understand where our food comes from and the responsibilities of owning pets. She loves it. But not as much as me, I now own over 60 birds. I find it so relaxing and enjoy looking after them. I'm now starting a part time business breeding cream legbarrs, but the problem is there my pets and don't want to sell the chicks!!!! I'm not a good business man.........
Steve from Oxford, England

People have compared me to Eyore from Winnie the Pooh LOL. I never thought of myself as possibly depressed but I guess who isn't to a certain extent. I've been raising chickens for only three years and I find myself feeling much better and smiling more. Tending to and watching my chickens is VERY therapeutic for me. Aside from the large amount of eggs the girls generously give me everyday they have probably saved me thousands of dollars in therapy :) !!!!!

I completely understand your dilemma!!! I've had requests from co-workers and neighbors to purchase fertile eggs and chicks. I'm finding it difficult to let go of any. Maybe background checks are in order LOL ;)

I am so happy to be able to talk to other people who love chickens.

I keep chickens because it decreases stress and anxiety and I just plain love them, I could watch them all day. Here are the breeds I have all bantams. I would love a few more breeds.
I have 1 black frizzle, 2 black mottled cochins, 1 white crested black polish, 2 buff brahmas, 3 EE`s, 1 black silkie and 1 white silkie, both silkies are roo`s, the rest are hens.

I raise chickens because they are amazing and highly intelligent. I never knew how wonderful they were! They bring so much joy to my life! And they will have a forever home with us and when their time comes they will be burried out back in our pet cemetary. Each one knows her name! They cease to amaze me! Now after having them for only like 6 months I cant imagine my life without them. That's how much they mean to me!

Back
Top Bottom