Official Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Winner!

Quote:
245.gif
What is that?
monkey.gif
297.gif
306.gif
That's butt ugly!
Just_Cuz_15.gif
229.gif

lau.gif
I feel for all of you with frizzles, you must have to constantly look over your shoulder during molt season for CPS - Chicken Protective Services... surely one of your neighbors is going to call in and report you are attempting to live pluck your flock!
lau.gif

Is this contest still ongoing? Cause I have some pretty ugly hens right now. I don't understand why nature has them molt just when it's getting cold out...

Uh oh. Now I'm kind of freaking after the comment that some of these molters may well have mites. Could my 16 mo. old hens have mites, and not be molting? Except that the young hens are beautiful and missing no feathers. It's only 2 of the 4 older hens that are starting to look really ratty with bald patches. One of my NH Reds lost her tail feathers. At first I thought some animal must have bitten her butt and got a mouth full of tail feathers. And then I started suspecting who was the meanie who obviously yanked her by the tail. But her neck is also losing feathers. The other molter, a RI Red, has a bare spot on her back that I almost got rid of the rooster for, but she is probably in molt. I'll post pictures when they get a little more bald. I do worry about the molters now that it's in the 30s at night.

By the way, I now know where the saying "She's no spring chicken" came from. My spring hens are so beautiful, shiny feathers, every single one of them in place, pretty faces. My 16 mo. old hens are getting really ratty looking... Nature is cruel.
lol.png

Quote:
Look at my NHR's picture, post 154, and see if her missing tail looks like your girl's. Mine is about a year and a half old and is positively molting.

Funny about the "spring chicken" comment... never thought of it like that but I'll bet you're right!

Robin's Brood - I never even realized the posts had numbers until you just mentioned that!

I had seen the photo of your NH Red and it was relieving, because yes, it looks just like my NH Red's missing tail feathers. Except my NH red looks a lot more scrawny. I'll post pictures soon.

Back
Top Bottom