OGM! They're GONE!!!! Long Rant

i'm so sorry for your loss. You know, i'm seeing more and more posts from people having their chickens stolen. Is it the economy or what? i was feeling safe here, but i guess you just never know until you go out one morning to find an empty coop. Maybe it's time to get a couple locks, just to be safe.

Again, so sorry. That really stinks.

Could be predators,a good sized raccoon can crawl in a two inch hole.I was missing some birds and could not figure this out until i found a small two inch crack and repaired it that night i caught a coon.Or file a police report.

Sorry for your loss. The feathers in the road sound a little suspicious. I'm about to install some game cams and hope that the flash scares off any would be kidnappers. We live in an out of the way place, but our neighbor just had her car broken into, so I'm not taking anything for granted right now. I just don't understand what would make a person do something so awful. If they're hungry, I'd feed them. Come to the door for Pete's sake and do a little good old fashioned begging. What's the deal with the poultry sales? Are they sold for meat or can someone who knows nothing about the breed of bird they have just walk in and expect a good price from a bidding war?

that is a great idea! I will. this just makes me want to scream! my babies..............gone!
hit.gif

A good dog would prevent this. Emphasis on good.

A game camera is a great way to catch the culprits on film, but you don't want the visible flash or anything to give it away. They'll just steal the game cam then! At the very least, they'll vandalize it to destroy the pictures, steal the chip, whatever.

Agree about padlocks.

ChickyPooh:

So sorry to hear of your loss, I can't imagine and hope I never do. Everytime I read one of these, I re-analyze my protection system.

The coup closes up like a vault at night which is inside a pen that is totally covered; 2/3 is a metal roof. The pen was made from four 6'x10' dog kennel panels that is overlaid with offset 2"x4"x3' rolled wire. Then there are three separate strands of electrified bare wire with standoff insulators on the outside that is literally plugged in at night.

When the chickens are allowed out of their fortress I am always nearby with either a shotgun or scoped rifle.

I have never put a padlock on the gate, but maybe I should. However, anyone who is brazen enough to pass the bluntly ominous legally posted sign at the entrance of our 1/4mile driveway is probably not just a chicken thief.

Kentucky

Kentucky

Chickeepoo~ So sorry to hear about your girls. I cannot imagine what you are going through. I hope you find some peace soon, if not justice!

Kentucky~
I'm with you.
My DH always has his guns ready and waiting.
We are about 1/4 mile from the road and the back of the property and we figure if somebody is brazen enough to climb over or break through our fences or gates to get to us, then they're not there to visit. They're up to no good.
We've had lots of equipment stolen from our barn, but they haven't touched our girls yet.
I know it's just some local delinquents (we've confronted them on our property many times), but they can still cause major damage to property and livestock, not to mention our sense of safety and privacy.
Luckily we have a good guard dog, so they haven't come close to the house which is where the girls are located.

Back
Top Bottom