Oh know!!!! Quarantine!!!!

chirpingcricket

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Fairhope, AL
sad.png
he.gif
Since joining this web site, so many times, I have read to quarantine birds when introducing new chicks/hens/roos to your flock!

And have until this weekend.
sad.png

I purchased 2 egg laying young hens this past Friday morning (8-20-11) (We've, purchased a few pullets and an accidental young EE Roo from a local supplier over the past year.) No Problems. Until this past Friday.

We wanted a couple of mature hens to "add" to our main flock. "Beatiful girls"!
As it turned out, it's been raining 2 to 3 times a day since. Our "alternate" quarantine pen was delayed due to the same.

We have a main coop, peeper pen and a large "run". (Finishing a new coop for the upcoming 4 to 5 month old pullets/cockrell since they had out grown their peeper pen).
We were going to use the peeper pen this time as the quarantine pen. The "run" is only partially roofed and screened well, so they can sun, dust bathe, etc.. . .but with all the rain we found ourselves in a quandry with what to do.

Had to "swap out" the pen areas in order to give protection from the rain. Then we gave free range time to each group, . . . the mature hens and roo, . . .then the pullets/young roo, . . .and then the 2 mature hens. (We were trying to finish the new pen (4th) between the rain storms etc. A Mess!). We were trying to give each group a little time to free range separately as the weather permitted.

It turned out that both new hens died of Gapeworm within 48 to 72 hours. New experience to me and my husband . So very sad.
hit.gif

Unfortunately, they had a short stay in a holding pen where we take the hens from a coop to a "run" and then free range and back to their respective coop(s).
Since they were mature and we trusted this supplier, we thought it would be safe.
The supplier later stated that he had just "swapped" the hens the Sunday before, only 5 days, and they had not even been quarantine from his flock!!!!!!!!!!!

We followed all the advise from this web site on how to treat/quarantine the birds. Called the supplier, told him what was going on, picked up the med, (fenbenazol)? Stayed up through the nights in our outdoor patio bathroom with the hens so we could keep them isolated and treat.

Can't thank all of you enough, for your dedication to try and help others with your posts through all these years, to save the birds and educate us while offering encoragement and timely support along the way!!!.
thumbsup.gif

To have the ability to go to the archives to get the recommended treatment(s) etc. sure makes you feel like you have experts to help guide you through those tough times.

The supplier told me he would refund the money if I bring in the carcass(s)!!. Something to look forward to on a Monday morning! I told him Saturday morning that he needed to treat his birds asap. (Open only 1/2 day and we could not get there to return the birds before he closed!)

We are hoping that the treatment is in time and dose for the rest of our birds. Again, having this site through the long nights and mornings. . . days . . .has been helpful and certainly educational. Mostly, sad, that I didn't take the constant reminder/warning to quarantine prior to introduction of new birds as gospel!!!!!.
Just can't even imagine having to completely start over. Much less to watch all that suffering ever again!

Will also have to bleach out the whole bathroom, much less keep a vigilant front to clean all the pens and relocate the rest of our birds while trying to treat them and keep them alive. Burning all items that may have been contaminated and all the bedding materials etc.

Any new comer etc., please take the time to quarantine!

Last edited:
A tough lesson learned for sure, sorry for your losses. I recommend that you treat your whole flock with fenbendazole. The ones that were infected with them shed eggs onto the ground to be picked up by your healthy chickens and can possibly become infected as well. They will require several treatments at 10 days apart. Gapes are tough to get rid of. If you are using bleachwater to disinfect everything, I recommend using ammonia water after using the bleachwater. Ammonia water will kill cocci, bleach wont...just for your information. I know it'll be a pain, hang in there it'll all work out and good luck.

Hey Dawg53. Your's is one of the voices we listen to alot!
Thanks so much for the encouragement and the tip regarding the ammonia follow up.
We started all the birds on the Fenbendazole on Saturday morning. I understand that I need to use 1cc to 1 liter of water. I am also giving this to the pullets/cockrells.
fl.gif

I'm planning on giving this to them for 7 days. Is that correct?
Then follow up again in 10 days, is that correct? Thanks, Verna

Update regarding gapeworms!!!

Update
redarding the Gape's!!! Worms that is. . .
I took the girls carcass's to the supplier with an obvious sample of expelled worms.
So diffiicult to have the evidence and it being "shrugged off"! Although he did take the "long" way around his facility to put them in a box away from his flock, of course.

I had to ask him to meet me outside his facility, to not only present the carcass' but evidence of the red worm he challanged me earlier on the phone, as to the cause. WELL enough said!!!!!
He refunded my money, but insisted he had no desire to sell "infected birds". I told him I respected that, but . . . it happens sometimes.
The kicker, he said, thankfully, he had "gotten rid of," all those birds that were in the same pen."??????

I did not hang around to ask him if he had sold them to someone else, or "taken care of them." At this point, I just don't think I'll be going back!!! He did tell me that you could sink alot of money into birds, and it just wasn't worth the time or money!!

I realize that bad things can happen, and hence, the better informed, the better prepared, Oh well, lesson learned!!!! Thank goodness for BYC!!!

Last edited:
Hey Dawg,
Not a bad idea!
I was able to bleach out the main coop and peeper pen yesterday, and burn everything else. I sprayed as much as I could in the main run with my husband helping me way after dark. We put in new bedding in all 3 areas.
I had to run to Tuscaloosa today regarding a patient in a nursing home, just getting back.
I will follow through on the rest of your advice to go back, spray the bedding and all related areas with Ammonia.
After that dries, I guess I'll need to throw out that bedding, (pine straw and oak leaves), burn it and replace with fresh.
I will still need to spray, everything down in our outside patio bathroom since that's where I ended up keeping both infected birds towards the end of their ordeal. Going to be real careful in there and make sure it's sterile before using it ever again.
So far so good with the mature flock and the pullet/cockrell flock. Continue to give them the Fenbendazole thorugh Sunday. That will be the 7 day run. Then will continue to hold/destroy the eggs for another 7 days, I guess.
Man, what a hard way to learn a very, very important lesson!! Thanks again, Verna

Back
Top Bottom