Oh My God, The Government Wants to Kill My Chickens (MS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turkey can get ms/mg/blackhead pretty easy.

We're rural and the turkey population here made a huge comeback. Most of them normally run away- but we have had a few problem toms.

Update:

The state vet just called. After spending the morning in meetings with various poultry disease experts (I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY MY FIVE CHICKENS PROMPTED SUCH A DEBACLE), it has been decided that since my chickens live in a covered coop, I have dedicated "coop shoes," my hens are not used for breeding stock, and do not go to shows or ever leave the premises, I will be "allowed" to keep them.

I honestly don't think they had a leg to stand on in the first place, but I'm just thrilled this seems to have blown over. He did give me the dire warning that my chickens will most likely die of MS, but I have my doubts. We shall see.

Thank you everyone for your input, support, dissent, etc. etc. etc. I've learned a whole, whole lot.

Birds in a backyard situation are more exposed to spreading disease to wild bird species, which can then spread it to other species, both wild and domestic, including threatened or endangered species.

This isnt related to MS in this thread, but here's what happens in a very recent bird flu outbreak in China, same thing happened with a Newcastle's disease outbreak in California some years ago: I hope the chinese can contain it.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-12/22/c_132987133.htm
http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/vet/newcastle.htm

There was an outbreak in the Central Valley a few years back; apparently caused by someone smuggling infected fighting chickens in from Mexico.

Turkey can get ms/mg/blackhead pretty easy.

We're rural and the turkey population here made a huge comeback. Most of them normally run away- but we have had a few problem toms.

Quote:

Tatertot, I don't know whether you are serious or not. There was some serious discussions 40-50 years ago about banning free range domesticated turkey rearing in order to protect the restocked wild turkeys from those germ laden domestic turkeys.

There was also a court case out of Texas I think it was where someone beat a poaching rap when it was shown that the "poached" tom was hiding his mama's liaison with a domestic tom. Wild tom turkeys will eagerly interbreed if given half a chance. Also domestic ewes will interbreed with lovelorn wild rams, spreading old world diseases, parasites and perhaps diluting the DNA of the X-Bred animals thus making it difficult for the Cross breeds to eek out a living in the wild. Whatever your opinions are on this thread, there was never a situation or an emergency that good government can't make worse.

There was an outbreak in the Central Valley a few years back; apparently caused by someone smuggling infected fighting chickens in from Mexico.
I am familiar with this case and no one smuggles gamecocks from Mexico into the US. That is like saying that The United States of America smuggles cocaine into Columbia. There was no apparently to it, this was simply a press release from an Animal Rights group.

I am familiar with this case and no one smuggles gamecocks from Mexico into the US. That is like saying that The United States of America smuggles cocaine into Columbia. There was no apparently to it, this was simply a press release from an Animal Rights group.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/060509_flu-smuggling.html

~~Still, no country is immune to the illegal bird trade, not even the U.S., experts warn. "It is a possible risk in the U.S.," said Brett Sandercock, an avian ecologist at Kansas State University in Manhattan. "There have been outbreaks of Exotic Newcastle disease carried by poultry, and it's thought that those birds came [illegally] from Mexico." The 2002-03 California outbreak of Exotic Newcastle disease—a fatal and highly contagious viral disease in birds—killed more than 3 million birds and cost poultry producers upwards of 150 million U.S. dollars. Some birds are smuggled into the U.S. for illegal cockfighting, while others supply specialty markets.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/CustomsToday/2006/october_november/agriculture1.xml

I know plenty of Mexicans that bring fighting birds in and out of America, they also bring lots of steroids, antibiotics, etc.

-Kathy

Tatertot, I don't know whether you are serious or not. There was some serious discussions 40-50 years ago about banning free range domesticated turkey rearing in order to protect the restocked wild turkeys from those germ laden domestic turkeys.

There was also a court case out of Texas I think it was where someone beat a poaching rap when it was shown that the "poached" tom was hiding his mama's liaison with a domestic tom. Wild tom turkeys will eagerly interbreed if given half a chance. Also domestic ewes will interbreed with lovelorn wild rams, spreading old world diseases, parasites and perhaps diluting the DNA of the X-Bred animals thus making it difficult for the Cross breeds to eek out a living in the wild. Whatever your opinions are on this thread, there was never a situation or an emergency that good government can't make worse.
I think tatertot was saying that it was great news that the OP doesn't have to cull her flock.

-Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom