Oh MY Goodness what a crazy 20 mins, feathers, hawks and eggs.

monaandthechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 1, 2009
MA.
I have to tell someone that will sympathize with me. what a crazy 20 mins I just had!!!!!!!

To start, I have a chicken molting. ???????? she picked a horrible time to do this. Last night I noticed she could not "fly" up to the roost to sit with the other girls and so I picked her up and helped her there. Today is very cold out in the 20's so I decided after work I would race home and bring her inside.

I have another chicken that had a prolapsed egg !!! I soaked her in a tub twice and she was not getting any better in that area. My husband said enough, she has to go back out. She has been very healthy eatting/drinking/socializing so I figured okay nature has to take its course. When I was trying to get the molting girl out of the woods today, I noticed she had a HUGE golf ball/baseball size angry looking mess hanging out of her area so to speak. awwww darn it, now I have to help the poor thing.

So......... I get featherless girl in the house and into a dog carrier. I go and start warm water in a bucket in a tub for crazy bound egg girl and while I am running around doing this one of my easter eggers gets attacked by a hawk right in front of my eyes on the patio!!!!!! the dog and I race out , the hawk flies off and feathers are everywhere, she was so freaked out!!! all the other girls had rushed into the coop. Chip, my EE just seems to be missing a large amount of tail feathers, I could not see any blood, but she was hiding in a bush. Poor girl I think she is okay, i Hope she is so sweet. I wonder if she followed me to the patio when I brought in the molting chicken??

THEN, bound egg girl, is in the tub, she is straining and grunting. I finally figured out that the ball thing must be an egg. I took a big large gulp and put my hands in the water and sure enough she was as hard as a rock, (or an egg) I helped her squeeze it out and nearly got sick doing it!! OMGosh, I was not made for that! Lots of blood and grossness, I drew a new tub for her to soak more and now have her own box with a heat lamp on her. The blood has seemed to have stopped but I m not sure I will ever recover! LOLOL Ugh it is only 3:30 so I settled for a cup of herbal tea. I hope I did the right thing by helping egg bound girl out. I worry maybe I forced it too fast?? but she seems to be okay now.....

ya.gif
I don't know if you did the right thing for egg bound girl but I think you're awesome!!

Thank you for listening/reading. I have my husband stopping for more oyster shell tonight. my egg bound girl must have had a broken egg in her earlier, this her nasty sate before the new egg was bound?? she is really a mess looking and I guess not all was expelled after her first 2 baths and cleanup?? I am not sure how this whole egg bound thing works or broken eggs,
sad.png
sad.png
she seems fine, she is eating maybe still a little shocked though.

UPDATE,after a few hours of what look liked contractions her oviduct(???) has completely gone back into her body, now she is oozing fluid but it is clear. I am hoping this is a good sign.
man I have learned a lot today. LOL

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of chicken keeping.
lol.png
I would guess that you are doing things that you never imagined you had the capability of doing. Congratulations you are a husbandryman. Uhh I mean woman.

Back
Top Bottom