OH NO! I lost power!

muslw4

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Northern Illinois
I lost power for about 1 1/2 hours! I have 24 eggs in the bator. they have been in for 10 days. I took them to a friend's about about 1/2 hour after losing power. the temp dropped to 87 degrees. Is there a chance the babies might still be ok?
This is my first hatch. I really hope I didn't lose them.
sad.png
I'm waiting until the temp gets back to 100 before moving them back.

Yeah, you can relax. That's a minor blip, not long enough or deep enough chilling at that stage to kill them, might just delay the hatch a few hours. Should be fine.

I have never had this happen to me during a hatch, however I have heard that eggs can cool down to room temp for 12 hours or so and still you will have a fairly good hatch. Some may not make it, but with 24 eggs, you should still have plenty of babies. I think you will be ok. Good luck with the hatch!
smile.png

Don't worry about any outage under 24 hours before day 14. I have had great hatches after outages up to 24 hours. After that you get heavy losses. Also late in the hatch they cant handle long outages. 2 or 3 days in an they can handle well over a day. Day 19 on cant really handle getting cold for long.

My power went out for over 9 hours, and without power i lost heat and it was winter and my eggs got down below 70 and i had a 75% hatch rate (of the fertile ones). they will be just fine.
smile.png

Last winter on our coldest night we lost power. It was around 2 weeks into incubation. The power had already been off for a couple of hours when I discovered the power was off, my incubator temp was 78 degrees. Luckily I had a battery pack and an inverter. I plugged the incubator into it and got the temp back up. After a couple of more hrs the power came back on. I candled the eggs and saw movement. I still had a good hatch.

Back
Top Bottom