Oh peewee, come here!

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
You said you keep your coturnix on the ground, what is their set-up? I don't eat my breeding birds and any that I hatch get sold. I'd like to put my coturnix on the ground but I'm afraid they'd have to be moved around a lot since they are little poop machines
sickbyc.gif

Also, the one time that I did put some in a ground pen I had to go out there and put them in their house, they were perfectly content with sleeping outside in the rain all night
barnie.gif

So do tell, give us your insight on the little boogers
love.gif

Let me see if I can find pics. of their pen. I have to find the disk I transferred them to. Most of my birds (colors) are not separated at this time but since I recently rehomed most of this years pheasant hatch I now have another 64 sq. foot pen to work with so that will be happening by next spring. My main aviary is (can't remember exactly) @10 ft long x 8 ft wide x 6 1/2 ft tall. It is wrapped in 1/4 inch mesh wire. There is also a fiberglass roof on it. One half of the roof is clear and the other is a beige color for shading. Since we get so much rain during the rainy season I had to dig down about 12 inches and lay a layer of rock down about 3-4 inches. Then I laid down a weed barrier over the top of the rocks and then brought in the truck load of play sand to lay over the barrier. It acts like a drain to keep the ground from puddling up. I seem to go threw a lot of plants in the aviary. The birds are very hard on them but they REALLY enjoy them. I put all the expensive ones like palms in pots and change the pots out when they start to look bad. I also have hamster igloos and the bottom half of a pet porter in there for the birds to go into when it rains. They really seem to enjoy these. The igloos also act as shading for the birds. Since my aviary is at the back of my studio and is right up next to a privacy fence on the other side they really do not get too wet when it rains. I have gone out (ONE time) during a really good down pour and found them all huddled up in the igloos and under the pet porter. So if you give them enough places to hide under when it rains they should be just fine. Of coarse their is always the odd ball who will play out in the rain. During the cold I wrap all the pens with tarps to keep the wind off of them. I have been known to also place a heater or a heating lamp hanging from the roof on really cold nights. They really seem to appreciate it.
I'll see if I can find those pics tomorrow for you so you can see what I am talking about.

Shelley Up There You'll Likely Need To Take 4-6 Inches Of Topsoil Off Inside The Pen And Replace It With Play Sand As Your Area Wont Have The Natural Drainage Florida Does... This Also Allows For Floor "cleaning" As You Can Rake The Sand Around And Turn It Over So To Speak...

What about putting a lot of DE on the ground? I mix it with the wood shavings and it does good. We are makeing another pen as well so all your info is helpfull! I don't want them to be too stinky!

You have to be careful with DE and quail. DE is great, don't get me wrong. But it can cause a lot of respiratory problems, indoors especially. They are not recommended for the little button quail more than any other species of quail.

There is another substance you can use on the ground is a Horse litter called Dry Stall ( not Stall Dri....two different substances). It is a litter made from volcanic aggregate and is absorbant. Quail will love to dust bathe in it. The benefits of this litter is that is contains a good source of minerals and grit for digestion
smile.png

My run is outside and dug about 9 inches deep. Every week I've been throwing more hay and sand on to cover droppings. The one problem I've found is they will make nests, and sometimes they are hard to find.

Also, mine is pvc attached to re-bar that has been staked into the ground. The wire is zip tied to the pvc. I can open the top and step into the enclosure on a daily bases. When it gets too built up I can remove a side and rake out the compost.

I guess what I'm saying it make sure your run is as accessible as possible. Also, predator proof. I put my girls in their coop every night around 6pm

Last edited:
Shelley's Big Problems Will Be Limestone Clay And Creek Rocks Where She's At. It Can Rain Up There Hard For 4-5 Days At A Time And Stay Dry But 2 Weeks Later The Ground Will Still Be Soggy... So Drainage Is Going To Her Big Problem. De Wont Help Drainage, Neither Will Stall Dry Which Is A High Percentage Sublimed Lyme (as In Dried Out And Pounded To Dust Lime Stome Clay) Both Will Make Soggy Groung That Has Drainage Issues Become A Muck Pit Or White Colored Mud Bog

What about raising Shelleys Pen. I have Clay and sand, and made raised beds for the garden, they drain great, rest of the yard, not so good and we have sandy soil on top of clay.

So a raised bed, of garden dirt (compost and dirt makes for good drainage), on top of that weed barrier, sand etc.. then put the cage on top of that bed. To whatever dimensions you want. Could start it small and add on, do it a little at a time or all at once.

Quote:
SHELLEY HAS CLAY ON TOP OF CREEK ROCK.... ELEVATED IS A BONUS, BUT SHE WILL LIKELY HAVE WAY MORE CLAY NOW THEN SHE WOULD EVER NEED OR WANT--- YOU BOX FRAME THE BOTTOM AND FILL WITH 6 INCHES OR SO OF PLAY SAND, THEN THE WATER WOULD DRAIN DOWN AND AWAY FROM THE BIRDS

Back
Top Bottom