OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

It depends on where you are. In the Toledo area farmer's markets, eggs run about $4 a dozen.
For the poster who wants to keep her chickens from decimating her gardens and mulch, this is how we do it. The coop is in a larger fenced area and clip their wings, so they have a lot of free range freedom without getting into everything. Between the coop and the fence, we built a little compost pile for them to tear into. First pic is taken before we made their compost pile.

I'm thinking about selling eggs from my home and could use some input on pricing. Our chickens are fed organic feed and spend their days in a huge enclosed pasture when they're not out free ranging. We have just about every egg color imaginable. I've heard of people in the area charging anywhere from $2-$2.50 per dozen, but that seems awfully low for organically fed, pastured/free-ranged chickens. I'm in Northwest Ohio. Any thoughts?

You might do a search on Craigslist in your area to see what people are charging (lots of people around here advertise their table eggs there) to give you a better idea. Where I live, eggs are everywhere. I sell mine for $2 a dozen (large & xl brown and green). My Amish neighbors sell xl brown eggs for $2.50. I don't advertise or compete with them. It's just word of mouth family/friends/coworkers. We can't keep up with demand and sell out every week typically selling 6-7 dozen a week. That said, if I were paying for organic feed like you are, I would charge more per dozen.

Quote:
I get Dumor layer 16% crumbles at TSC for 10.99 at the Wooster store. I find if you buy from a store in a farming community they are cheaper. The Wadsworth store will price match for me (thet're 2.00 higher) I have a mixed flock and crumbles are easier for the sultun and the silkis.

Your chicks sure look a lot like my Golden Comets that I got from TSC three weeks ago. A couple of them do have more whitish, cream-colored wings and tail feathers. The other four are more mottled tan/brown/cream. I'm in Geauga County, northeast Ohio.

I'm in NE Ohio, I sell my eggs from $3.50-4. I feed Purina plus Omega and Manna pro layer food, lately switched to Purina organic layer feeds. Your market will dictate how much you can charge, there's plenty of chicken owners around us, charging from free to $2.50, stores charges more than that. Yet we have 6 families that are standing weekly customers paying $4/dozen. We can hardly supply, Our hens are not free range cause of predators but they are in big safe run (partially roofed).

I raised my egg price from $2.50 to $3 a dozen about a year ago. When I saw the factory eggs in the grocery stores were going for $2-3 and the 'brown' eggs or those labeled organic were $3.50-4, I thought the time was right. Mine are not organic--no way to claim that when I am next to a bean field that is not organic.I feed Purina Layena, plus they are spoiled rotten with treat mix of scratch and B.O.S.S., have a Flockblock in the coop in the winter and get all kinds of fruit, veggie and bread scraps all the time.

How exciting! We are near Chesterville but technically Cardington. So about 10 minutes or so from you. My kids will be at Highland.

My husband works in Cardington. It's a great commute.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom