OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

@mamatink7 I've used the pinless peepers for almost 2 months w/ my mean leghorns and silver Wyandottes and I tell you they worked great. I almost culled the mean girls on my first year w/ chickens yet I was so torn since they were great layers- enter peepers and they worked. I have 3 generations of hens living together now including the old meanies, luckily I have never had to use it again since they turned nice after the peeps. Not sure if they became nice since they matures and the peepers just bought them time.
so even since you use them for longer times, you take them off or leave on till something changes? What store could we get them? I'd like to try this before having to trim beaks. Hubby says trim beaks, I'd rather not as you and several others say they change behaviours.

so even since you use them for longer times, you take them off or leave on till something changes? What store could we get them? I'd like to try this before having to trim beaks. Hubby says trim beaks, I'd rather not as you and several others say they change behaviours.

I just left them on until am comfortable w/ the dynamics of the flock, I kind of observe/watch how they interact w/ one another then I did a trial off-peepers w/ some of them. I bought them from Amazon, make sure it's the good ones, check reviews and quality. The ones I got cost about 14 bucks. I find trimming kind of cruel, battery chicken farm like, just me yet I don't have problem Butchering if I need to, just making sure wife and kids not around, lol.

Last edited:
UPDATE,
Well..we made it thru first full day with ALL our girls (26). We have 2 groups in isolation:/ how long until we can introduce new girls to the flock?
1st is 3 girls from the show, still doing VetRx nightly on one GLW. Her breathing is getting better each day. I also gave her a good look over, she is Not laying yet (dry vent) so even though comb is red, she's not laying. The other 2 are about every other day. Getting easier to handle them and they are learning our voices and behaviors.
2nd is 2 29wk black australorps that have gotten severely pecked on. They've had 2 doses of no peck and 2 doses of hen healer.
New 4 silver laced Wyandottes are in coop, they've gotten 2 doses of no peck on (am and pm). Found the rafters to be a safe place to be and have gotten down when need to. They are actually helping our 26wk wyandotte to be more brazen, she's gotten off perch to get feed and water several times, even though gotten pecked but mostly alright.
I have GOT to stop this pecking! I'm doing all I can do for now.

Lmbo...haha landlord thinks we have to have coop 450ft from the house. There's no regulation for this, I even called oh Dept of agriculture and spoke with Chief of Livestock. Up to 100ft is good.
Does anyone have coop attached to run attached to house? We have coop off deck then run attached to garage where we have to go thru garage to get to run.
Looking for new ideas now. We must expand to fit our new amt in our flock.

I would probably agree with the landlord, because he or she is the landlord.
LOL Thats what we were going with but he needed it just to be away from the house and didn't realize there was no actual distance since we are on cultural land. We will build 100ft from house. He just picked a number then realized that 450 is way far from the house and will be difficult in awful weather.

Does anyone know what I need to do to establish a farm in Ohio?  Is there fees involved?
contact your Dept of agriculture office. Speak with you County Dept as well, they will give you all info and who you need to speak with. What farm do you want? How many animals? You will have to speak with Livestock Dept of Ohio Dept of agriculture. Your local Zoning department will give specifics on barn allotment sizes as well. Under 500, and not large animals, you shouldnt have to. Also depends on how you will sell the products from your farm. If selling at a farm market or at stores, you must get certified. You can find all certification requirements on ode.org website. All depends on your location and if you have neighbors & you cannot build anything near a well in case of possible contamination.
Mind you, I JUST found out tons of info regarding this today from speaking with Dept of agriculture and chief of livestock office so I know more than I knew just by researching online.
www.agri.ohio.gov
has all forms and numbers for you

Last edited:
contact your Dept of agriculture office. Speak with you County Dept as well, they will give you all info and who you need to speak with. What farm do you want? How many animals? You will have to speak with Livestock Dept of Ohio Dept of agriculture. Your local Zoning department will give specifics on barn allotment sizes as well. Under 500, and not large animals, you shouldnt have to. Also depends on how you will sell the products from your farm. If selling at a farm market or at stores, you must get certified. You can find all certification requirements on ode.org website. All depends on your location and if you have neighbors & you cannot build anything near a well in case of possible contamination.
Mind you, I JUST found out tons of info regarding this today from speaking with Dept of agriculture and chief of livestock office so I know more than I knew just by researching online.
www.agri.ohio.gov
has all forms and numbers for you

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom