OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

West Central Ohio. (West of Columbus, North of Dayton)

Just beginning our chicken adventure with seventeen 3.5 week old chicks - 6 different breeds. I've been posting pics of them as they grow, and also have been working on naming them - its harder than it seems. Still have to build a coop. They are in a brooder in the garage right now. Have an area we can put them in in a barn while we build the coop.

Easter Eggers (3)
  • Names: Galadriel, Fili, Bombur. Names from Hobbit and LOTR trilogy
Dark Brown Leghorn (straight run - 5)
  • Names: Flash, Dash, Wildfire, Pronto, Razzle (also, Rocket was a runner up)
Jersey Giants (straight run - 2)
  • Names: Jupiter and Juno - For the largest breed, we wanted "big" names - so we went to Roman Mythology. Jupiter is the same as Zeus in Greek mythology. And Juno is Jupiter's sister (and wife) and is known as the "Queen of the gods".
Black Australorp (1 male, 3 females)
  • Names: none yet
Barred Plymouth Rock (2 - female)
Sliver Laced Wyandotte (1 - female)

West Central Ohio. (West of Columbus, North of Dayton)

Just beginning our chicken adventure with seventeen 3.5 week old chicks - 6 different breeds. I've been posting pics of them as they grow, and also have been working on naming them - its harder than it seems. Still have to build a coop. They are in a brooder in the garage right now. Have an area we can put them in in a barn while we build the coop.

Easter Eggers (3)
  • Names: Galadriel, Fili, Bombur. Names from Hobbit and LOTR trilogy
Dark Brown Leghorn (straight run - 5)
  • Names: Flash, Dash, Wildfire, Pronto, Razzle (also, Rocket was a runner up)
Jersey Giants (straight run - 2)
  • Names: Jupiter and Juno - For the largest breed, we wanted "big" names - so we went to Roman Mythology. Jupiter is the same as Zeus in Greek mythology. And Juno is Jupiter's sister (and wife) and is known as the "Queen of the gods".
Black Australorp (1 male, 3 females)
Barred Plymouth Rock (2 - female)
Sliver Laced Wyandotte (1 - female)
Just wanted to say hello, and Congratulations on your chicken adventure! You have a terrific variety. We are BluRoo Farm in Camden, OH. We breed Blue, Black and Splash Australorps.

Welcome!!! We live in Camden, OH, and raise Australorps. (Blue, Black and splash)

We have some Black Australorp chicks (from Eagle Nest hatchery, OH - long story...first ordered from Meyer Hatchery but all arrived dead - suspect mishandling by USPS, then needed to start with live chicks so we went to Eagle Nest since they are closer to us than Meyer and we drove to pick them up). I see that you are very close to us as well! This is good to know for the future!

Here they are! Their combs were inked with marker by my 11yo so we could tell them apart from some of the other breeds, and to tell the boy apart from the girls. They seem to be growing well, and we are looking forward to seeing what they are like as adults! Still working on name ideas - I think they will take some time!
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.40.17 AM.png

We have some Black Australorp chicks (from Eagle Nest hatchery, OH - long story...first ordered from Meyer Hatchery but all arrived dead - suspect mishandling by USPS, then needed to start with live chicks so we went to Eagle Nest since they are closer to us than Meyer and we drove to pick them up). I see that you are very close to us as well! This is good to know for the future!

Here they are! Their combs were inked with marker by my 11yo so we could tell them apart from some of the other breeds, and to tell the boy apart from the girls. They seem to be growing well, and we are looking forward to seeing what they are like as adults! Still working on name ideas - I think they will take some time!
View attachment 1310938
So cute! Thank you for sharing your information. Definitely want to stay in touch. We don't "inner breed", so it's good to have new lines. I have not heard of Eagle Nest Hatchery. I will have to check them out. We only breed to meet the highest standard. We recently purchased a show quality Black Australorp Rooster, and can't wait to get his off-spring this summer. We recently hatched 30 chicks. Sorry to hear about your story of shipped chicks. That is why I don't ship chicks. Regarding bird identification, we use leg bands, and that seems to work well for us. Talk later, Tara, BluRooFarmOH

View attachment 1310938

Eagle Nest gave away chicks at the ohio youth poultry clinic in wooster this last saturday. That was a fun day of learning. they had cute chicks.

Back
Top Bottom