OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

It is a dangerous undertaking, getting your first Brahmas. The risk is, before long you might start to notice how less than regal, and common your other chickens seem in comparison. Factor in the Brahmas extremely laid back, easy going nature, and pretty soon you start to find a higher percentage of your birds are Brahma, as your old original hens are replaced, Eventually you may find your whole flock is Brahma as you start to add the various color varieties, or possibly making some new ones of your own.

They do not tell you these things when you join the American Brahma Club, but it is a slippery slope my friend. Hopefully you will have the mindset to appreciate your good fortune of coming into the fold as it were. But there have been a few who could not get past the wasted years, and feed, they have squandered raising common chickens, when they could have been raising good Brahmas the entire time. So I guess it comes down to if you are a glass half full, or half empty, kind of person.
Nothing ? C'mon that was at least a little bit funny.

Last edited:
 Nothing ?  C'mon that was at least a little bit funny.
It was rather funny. I was laughing when I read it. I kinda want some buff laced and gold laced brahmas. Think I'm going to wait till next year though. I'm only planning on keeping my BBS ameracaunas, chocolate ameracaunas, chocolate and black Orpingtons, chocolate Wyandottes, BLRWyandottes, and coronation Sussex.

Which means the swap will see the lavender orp pair, some of the EE, call ducks in snowy and grey(parties/trios), Pekin ducks(pairs), and ancona ducks(boys only) :( Also a coronation Sussex cockerel. Maybe some month old Guinea keets.

I actually just got my first egg yesterday morning, from my Pekin..

I got another, bigger, one today. My first 4 chickens are all molting, and growing their combs bright red, so I think they will begin to lay within the next few weeks.
Getting your first eggs is so exciting!! I remember our first egg. My DH was working in Houston and I was due to fly down. (on a plane,
big_smile.png
) Well I took that first egg and packed it really well and put it in my luggage to show to my H. Well it made it safe and sound, not a crack, and I fried it for him for breakfast the next day!! Boy was it good!! (He shared
smile.png
!)

Last edited:
It was rather funny. I was laughing when I read it. I kinda want some buff laced and gold laced brahmas. Think I'm going to wait till next year though. I'm only planning on keeping my BBS ameracaunas, chocolate ameracaunas, chocolate and black Orpingtons, chocolate Wyandottes, BLRWyandottes, and coronation Sussex.

Which means the swap will see the lavender orp pair, some of the EE, call ducks in snowy and grey(parties/trios), Pekin ducks(pairs), and ancona ducks(boys only)
sad.png
Also a coronation Sussex cockerel. Maybe some month old Guinea keets.
Any SFH's???
idunno.gif

Can I pen all of my cockerels up in one pen or will they kill each other? Or maybe put half and half? Just getting a little irritated at all the commotion that goes on with 9 of them!! The top king-pin just does his job at trying to keep all the other cockerels in place, but my DH felt like shooting him yesterday!
hmm.png
We are going to get them processed, but can't get it done until the middle of next week.

Can I pen all of my cockerels up in one pen or will they kill each other? Or maybe put half and half? Just getting a little irritated at all the commotion that goes on with 9 of them!! The top king-pin just does his job at trying to keep all the other cockerels in place, but my DH felt like shooting him yesterday!
hmm.png
We are going to get them processed, but can't get it done until the middle of next week.
I was running about 10 together in one pen until those 5 extra boys went. They got along for the most part. They were 14-16 weeks old when I sent them.

Back
Top Bottom