OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Anyone interested in my entire flock of salmon favorelle? Large fowl. 2 diff ages. 2 different breeders. 2 cockerels, 8 pullets

Anyone interested in my entire flock of salmon favorelle? Large fowl. 2 diff ages. 2 different breeders. 2 cockerels, 8 pullets

how much!!!
tongue.png
and how old! I have a friend who is looking for some laying hens. Ok! Just looked up salmon favorelle! They are absolutely beautiful!!! If I didn't have so many right now!!!
roll.png

Last edited:
mike welcome to the thread!!!

shaybaby, the closest ones to us are the one off of 776 (south of 32 by jackson). there is one on seeny or seeney not sure of spelling, road in chillicothe off of bridge streed behind hirsches. and then the one i use, crums on 41, north of 32 - just north of peebles.
i think jeffs on blain highway (between st rt 772 and st rt 50) mixes feed too.

crums gives me the best price so i go there, i cant say if the others are good or bad. i will say crums can and will mix about anything you want.

i remember when 50 lbs lasted 4 days. we are at nearly 75 lbs dry weight a day on regular feed, a we are down to using a little more than a bag a week of chick starter!! but im about to hatch a batch again - i inherited 1 1/2 dozen lavender araucana bantams, and a couple sweedish flower eggs.

happychicks - i dont procrastinate, i plan ahead so im not doing anything right now.

Last edited:

shaybaby, the closest ones to us are the one off of 776 (south of 32 by jackson). there is one on seeny or seeney not sure of spelling, road in chillicothe off of bridge streed behind hirsches. and then the one i use, crums on 41, north of 32 - just north of peebles.

crums gives me the best price so i go there, i cant say if the others are good or bad. i will say crums can and will mix about anything you want.

i remember when 50 lbs lasted 4 days. we are at nearly 75 lbs dry weight a day on regular feed, a we are down to using a little more than a bag a week of chick starter!! but im about to hatch a batch again - i inherited 1 1/2 dozen lavender araucana bantams, and a couple sweedish flower eggs.

happychicks - i dont procrastinate, i plan ahead so im not doing anything right now.
tongue.png
LOL I know what you mean!

Tomorrow is hatch day and so far I have a basque and a rhoodebar pullet. I have another rhodebar pipped and a swedish flower hen pipped. Only one isbar egg made it to lockdown :( Guess when I get home I might have 4 new babies. Keeping them in the house because I've lost to many to the weather changing and my broody decided not to care for the choc silkies last night :( Woke up to some dead babies.

Oh you tease. :p I just got my fav bantams. If I had the coop space for them, I'd take the whole lot! It's getting mighty crowded in there.

shaybaby, the closest ones to us are the one off of 776 (south of 32 by jackson). there is one on seeny or seeney not sure of spelling, road in chillicothe off of bridge streed behind hirsches. and then the one i use, crums on 41, north of 32 - just north of peebles.

crums gives me the best price so i go there, i cant say if the others are good or bad.  i will say crums can and will mix about anything you want.

i remember when 50 lbs lasted 4 days.  we are at nearly 75 lbs dry weight a day on regular feed, a we are down to using a little more than a bag a week of chick starter!! but im about to hatch a batch again - i inherited 1 1/2 dozen lavender araucana bantams, and a couple sweedish flower eggs.

Ah! Thank you! I'll check into those. I might have to get your "recipe" again sometime. Mine do get outside time but they've already worn the temporary run out of grass and the breeders will soon be separated into off-ground pens temporarily. Methinks regular ol' crumble won't cut it for them much longer.
75 lbs a day holypigchickensbatman! Don't speak to my DH of this! LOL.
If you have to downsize those Lavs anytime, give me a holler. :p I ordered some Lav AMs (not aras) to hatch out this last time and, ironically, the BBS extras I got did hatch while none of the lavs did.

Aww, so sorry about the babies, mlaff! :hugs

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Is there a food mill or anything in the Dayton area? I live in Bellbrook. Just wondering what feed options there are besides Tractor Supply and Rural King now that we have our five girls! We'd love to feed organic if we can but it's not a requirement.

Try searching for grain elevator.

Edit to add...

Found a Brubaker Grain in Farmersville.
307 W Center St.
Farmersville, OH 45325

(937) 696.2028

Operating hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. Harverst hours are posted per location. Store operating hours may vary based on holidays, and seasonal events.

Looks a little further than I thought. But, is that what you are looking for?

Last edited:
In other news, I had quite a scare today. (Snooze alert. Long story ahead.) I had just let the ducks and chickens out (late since it was raining most of the day) and gone to feed the rabbit. I noticed one of the horses standing at attention and listening very intently to the creek/woody area behind the house (just a few feet from him/the horse field). So I stood still and listened, and heard LOUD branches breaking, a bunch of dogs over the hill barking at something and one yelped, and then a CREEPY loud growl. Not exactly a growl but that's the best I can describe it besides "an amplified male burp" lol. So I stood outside and listened for a good 10 minutes more or so and kept hearing it. The horses were freaking out, bucking around even. And the goat which is tied right next to the creek was going crazy trying to run away. So I decided to put the ducks and chickens back up right away in case anything came up out of there. Whatever it was was by far and away big enough to make a meal of the whole flock. While I was doing that, my great-aunt (who lives next door) came out and asked what the horses were scared of. I said I wasn't sure and we stood and listened for a bit. She heard the creepy growling noises too. I had my iPod so I started a video recording to try to catch the sound. In 7 minutes, I only caught one quiet growl, and it isn't even close to being the creepiest-sounding. She didn't know what the heck it was either. We talked about maybe it was a bear, but didn't sound quite right. Maybe it was a cougar. Most of the sounds did sound very much like one, with a few exceptions. (It was deeper and less cat-like). Maybe it was a buck or something. No way. Even at their creepiest, they can't make that noise. So she went back to the house and got her rifle, and her daughter came along too with her pistol. I'm the only one on the road without a gun, go figure lol. They stood guard while I RAN down near the creek to grab the goat. I've never been so scared for my life, thinking a lion was going to pop right up there beside me or something. I picked the goat up (heavy!) and ran back to the house and tossed her inside (yep, goat in the house, had nowhere else to put her in an instant LOL). Then aunt and cousin braved up and decided to walk down to the creek to check it out. From the moment they did that, I never heard it again. Then we got my (other) neighbor-cousin's DH to run down and check it out on his ATV. He saw or heard nothing, and now thinks I'm screwy in the head. Haven't heard it again. Hopefully whatever it was moved on. For the horse's sake especially. They have nowhere to go. The dogs along the road, mine included, haven't stopped barking all night, though. *shiver* If I ever hear those sounds again, it will be too soon.
Here's a sound clip of the one sound I caught. Sounds much further away than it really was. And like I said, this was one of the more mild-sounding "growls/yells".
http://m.soundcloud.com/user288645914/creepynoise

Back
Top Bottom