OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

sorry to hear about the babies, im expecting some brooder losses over the next week.  when the temps fluctuate from the 50's to the 30's is when i have trouble.

the broody was being a good mama until yest. My kids left a chicken out last night too and they had a mess to clean up this morning. It is not the first one they havve missed but from what they had to clean up I bet it is the last. I'm going to try and keep the new babies in my daughters closet as long as possible. That way I know they are fully feathered and can take the cold. Then I am putting them in the garage to allow them to get used to that. Lol I'm being super careful about it from now on. Not using anymore broody hens until it is warm. Now if I could get my silkie pen to lay I'd be set.

In other news, I had quite a scare today. (Snooze alert. Long story ahead.) I had just let the ducks and chickens out (late since it was raining most of the day) and gone to feed the rabbit. I noticed one of the horses standing at attention and listening very intently to the creek/woody area behind the house (just a few feet from him/the horse field). So I stood still and listened, and heard LOUD branches breaking, a bunch of dogs over the hill barking at something and one yelped, and then a CREEPY loud growl. Not exactly a growl but that's the best I can describe it besides "an amplified male burp" lol. So I stood outside and listened for a good 10 minutes more or so and kept hearing it. The horses were freaking out, bucking around even. And the goat which is tied right next to the creek was going crazy trying to run away. So I decided to put the ducks and chickens back up right away in case anything came up out of there. Whatever it was was by far and away big enough to make a meal of the whole flock. While I was doing that, my great-aunt (who lives next door) came out and asked what the horses were scared of. I said I wasn't sure and we stood and listened for a bit. She heard the creepy growling noises too. I had my iPod so I started a video recording to try to catch the sound. In 7 minutes, I only caught one quiet growl, and it isn't even close to being the creepiest-sounding. She didn't know what the heck it was either. We talked about maybe it was a bear, but didn't sound quite right. Maybe it was a cougar. Most of the sounds did sound very much like one, with a few exceptions. (It was deeper and less cat-like). Maybe it was a buck or something. No way. Even at their creepiest, they can't make that noise. So she went back to the house and got her rifle, and her daughter came along too with her pistol. I'm the only one on the road without a gun, go figure lol. They stood guard while I RAN down near the creek to grab the goat. I've never been so scared for my life, thinking a lion was going to pop right up there beside me or something. I picked the goat up (heavy!) and ran back to the house and tossed her inside (yep, goat in the house, had nowhere else to put her in an instant LOL). Then aunt and cousin braved up and decided to walk down to the creek to check it out. From the moment they did that, I never heard it again. Then we got my (other) neighbor-cousin's DH to run down and check it out on his ATV. He saw or heard nothing, and now thinks I'm screwy in the head. Haven't heard it again. Hopefully whatever it was moved on. For the horse's sake especially. They have nowhere to go. The dogs along the road, mine included, haven't stopped barking all night, though. *shiver* If I ever hear those sounds again, it will be too soon.
Here's a sound clip of the one sound I caught. Sounds much further away than it really was. And like I said, this was one of the more mild-sounding "growls/yells".
http://m.soundcloud.com/user288645914/creepynoise

That is so creepy!!! If I'd heard that recording last night, I would not have been able to sleep!

That is so creepy!!! If I'd heard that recording last night, I would not have been able to sleep!
I must say shaybaby, you live in an interesting area!!
lol.png
Alpacas in your front yard, (or was it a Llama?) Now this!! I think I would learn to shoot!
smile.png
Not that I would shoot the llama, but this thing??!!!
hide.gif
I think it sounds like a cougar. Ooohhh! That would creep me out. We live next to a stone quarry and about 10-15 years ago we were all in bed, (my DD and DSIL were living with us at the time) heard what sounded exactly like a lion roaring. Sounded just like at the zoo. My SIL was in the front of the house with windows closed and he heard it roar. It was the loudest scariest sound!! The quarry is behind/beside us down the hill, if that makes sense. Of course if it was down in the quarry, that would have made it louder!! We called the sheriff. At that time there were stories of a lion loose in the area, but we thought that was just what it was, until we heard it!!! They never found anything though, so I'm not sure what it was or where it went. We never heard it again. Hope you never hear or, see it, again!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome! Before posting I googled "Dayton OH feed mill" and didn't have any luck. :( Is "feed mill" the wrong phrase? Can you please post the link for the one in Centerville?

Hopefully others can chime in if they have info. Thanks!

We are just a little south of you near Waynesville. I have been getting feed made at Clarksville Ag. in well, Clarksville. I have talked to a few folks who get feed at a mill somewhere west toward Eaton.

The state of Ohio will tell you there is no mountain lion in the area. Don't believe them. I know a lady with video footage of one trying to get into her goat barn at night and she lives near west union. It was recent and it lives near her because she has multipul videos. I'll pm you OHhappychicks.

And Shaybaby, I bet, if someone would go over where the sounds were coming from, they would find tracks. After the rain yesterday, they should find good prints! Send someone who is good with a gun though!!
big_smile.png
Maybe they could even track it!

Last edited:
The state of Ohio will tell you there is no mountain lion in the area. Don't believe them. I know a lady with video footage of one trying to get into her goat barn at night and she lives near west union. It was recent and it lives near her because she has multipul videos. I'll pm you OHhappychicks.

My money would be on if a mountain lion was verified, it is a escaped/released captive bred animal. Any of you old timers remember all the crazy stuff that could be bought at the Lucasville swaps back in the day ?

Update, I now have 5 little babies and two that have pipped. Ill have to get pictures because I don't know who is who.:/

Back
Top Bottom