OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

i hope this makes since LOL.  i build my brooders out of one sheet of plywood.  they are 2 feet high and wide, and 4 feet long - i put the lamp on one end.  when the temps drop to around 50 degrees i will change to a 250 watt white bulb.  when the temps get around 40, i will put a lid from a 20 or so gallon storage container over the area of the lamp. i will add another lid at 30 and another at 25 degrees.  when it gets into the teens i add a second bulb usually 150 watt red and i will switch it on and off as needed. 

i have considered running 2 -150 watt lamps on the end, in case one blows.

i still have losses when the temp fluctuates, but this is the best method i have found so far.

Thanks. I have had horrible luck with any babies and it is my first year with them when its cold out. I need to buy chicken wire and 2x4s to enclose my kids old toy box and put the babies in there from now on instead of all the totes. They out grow them quickly. Hopefully I can get it done soon and the ones who just hatched could possibly stay in there all winter. It is 4 ft wide by 9 ft long and about 3 ft deep. Best part is it is on wheels.

I'm so proud of two of my dogs. They left this on my porch.
it was the rottweiler and the dachshund. I'm betting more dachshund that rottweiler, as backwards as that sounds.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have had horrible luck with any babies and it is my first year with them when its cold out. I need to buy chicken wire and 2x4s to enclose my kids old toy box and put the babies in there from now on instead of all the totes. They out grow them quickly. Hopefully I can get it done soon and the ones who just hatched could possibly stay in there all winter. It is 4 ft wide by 9 ft long and about 3 ft deep. Best part is it is on wheels.
I love this idea!

my puppies ate like kings tonight - i had to worm them so i mixed the wormer with beef stroganof, 5 - 4 lb puppies ate about 8lbs of it in 45 seconds flat LOL.
Those must be some roly poly puppies tonight. At least they're happy. I'm starving now, but you can hold the dewormer.

I knew there was a ton of commotion on the porch but didn't think nothing of it. Thought the cats and the dogs are fighting.

Anyone else up before dawn today? Holy icicles was it cold! Warming up already now that the sun's coming up but a half hour ago before I took kiddo to school and was searching desperately for the ice scraper and begging the car to start..BRR! :hit <---a tearful goodbye to summer. Somehow thank God I didn't have any losses in the coop. Even the itty bitty serama youngsters made it. Though I got a few stinkeyes when I went to let them out. Time to start bringing them in at night, I guess.

Last edited:
Anyone else up before dawn today? Holy icicles was it cold! Warming up already now that the sun's coming up but a half hour ago before I took kiddo to school and was searching desperately for the ice scraper and begging the car to start..BRR! :hit <---a tearful goodbye to summer. Somehow thank God I didn't have any losses in the coop. Even the itty bitty serama youngsters made it. Though I got a few stinkeyes when I went to let them out. Time to start bringing them in at night, I guess.

I was! I didn't go outside, though. My husband rode his motorcycle to work! Brrr! He said that's why he has the cold weather gear (it saves a lot of money on gas, so he wants to ride it as long as possible). I'll be glad when motorcycle season is over.

Are possums a threat to chickens? I ask because I read a very complimentary blog on possum last year. We had one on the deck last night, but I went out and yelled, "git! Git!" to it and it waddled off.

Back
Top Bottom