OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Opened the coop this morning and the girls poked their head out and looked around like "what the heck is this white stuff?". They started down the ramp but soon as their feet hit the snow, they started flapping and jumped/flew to a clear spot in the run.

Ok here they are. Have no idea who is who.

Everyone

Urg. Well took all the pictures earlier and then just went up and found a. Poor little one who can't stand and the others poked its eyes out. Poor little thing. Can anyone explain this to me? I have never had this happen before.

I am so disappointed. I by some miracle ended up with a rooster who barely crows and when he does it isn't as loud as the neighbors dog barking. I have been so excited. However, the last week or two I have noticed a lot of pullets as well as the six week old chicks sleeping in the run. Since it is getting pretty chilly I felt like I should nip this in the bud. I went out tonight to put three pullets and two chicks in the coop and he started attacking them! Just pecking but I had to pine him with rake to get him to stop. I chased him into a nest box and let everyone else get on the roosts then lights out. I don't know how to fix this! He never comes near me and I have never seen him be aggressive in the yard. Any suggestions? I feel like soup is an option....

I am so disappointed. I by some miracle ended up with a rooster who barely crows and when he does it isn't as loud as the neighbors dog barking. I have been so excited. However, the last week or two I have noticed a lot of pullets as well as the six week old chicks sleeping in the run. Since it is getting pretty chilly I felt like I should nip this in the bud. I went out tonight to put three pullets and two chicks in the coop and he started attacking them! Just pecking but I had to pine him with rake to get him to stop. I chased him into a nest box and let everyone else get on the roosts then lights out. I don't know how to fix this! He never comes near me and I have never seen him be aggressive in the yard. Any suggestions? I feel like soup is an option....
Is this a young roo? If it is, do you have an old hen to pen him with?

Urg. Well took all the pictures earlier and then just went up and found a. Poor little one who can't stand and the others poked its eyes out. Poor little thing. Can anyone explain this to me? I have never had this happen before.

Oh man, that's miserable!! The only time I've seen that happen was when there was something wrong with a chick -- developmentally something was just not right, and the chick wasn't flourishing, and the other chicks seemed to know it. I had that happen a couple of times when my incubator was running too low and some of the chicks didn't develop normally. That shouldn't have been an issue with a Brinsea, thought!

Chicks, individual pics, top to bottom (I'm pretty sure!):

basque
rhodebar male
SFH
rhodebar female
basque

Group photo, though, looks like (and I emphasize the "looks"): 2 rhodie females, one rhodie male, one basque, two SFH, the one in the dish could be either a light rhodie male or a dark basque (if it's got a dot on its head, it's a rhodie male), and the greyish-looking one top right could be either a SFH or a blue isbar. If the legs have traces of black or green "surface" coloring, it's an isbar :) And you have a very cute hatchling there, yourself! I miss mine :) He's all grown up now!

Is this a young roo? If it is, do you have an old hen to pen him with?

What minihorse said! They're kinda like any other young male animal, just starting to "feel his oats" -- put him with an older lady who won't stand for that nonsense and she'll beat it right out of him, lol! :p That said, some roos are just awful, but if he's that young it might just be adolescent fever.

Opened the coop this morning and the girls poked their head out and looked around like "what the heck is this white stuff?". They started down the ramp but soon as their feet hit the snow, they started flapping and jumped/flew to a clear spot in the run.
No snow here yet, WYNot, but BOY did it get cooooold last night!!! Spent the day refitting the barn to bring 'em all back in -- well, except for the really cold-hardy ones. Seems like I'd just gotten them all outside finally, too! I've got more to do today, too -- time to streamline the food/water/housing routine for winter!

Oh man, that's miserable!! The only time I've seen that happen was when there was something wrong with a chick -- developmentally something was just not right, and the chick wasn't flourishing, and the other chicks seemed to know it. I had that happen a couple of times when my incubator was running too low and some of the chicks didn't develop normally. That shouldn't have been an issue with a Brinsea, thought!

Chicks, individual pics, top to bottom (I'm pretty sure!):

basque
rhodebar male
SFH
rhodebar female
basque

Group photo, though, looks like (and I emphasize the "looks"):  2 rhodie females, one rhodie male, one basque, two SFH, the one in the dish could be either a light rhodie male or a dark basque (if it's got a dot on its head, it's a rhodie male), and the greyish-looking one top right could be either a SFH or a blue isbar. If the legs have traces of black or green "surface" coloring, it's an isbar :)  And you have a very cute hatchling there, yourself! I miss mine :) He's all grown up now!

It has a dot so guessing rhodie male. Ill check the legs later. The little sick one didn't make it through the night. Poor thing. :( But I guess nature takes care of things itself. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom