OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

found this heated font today at Rural King. Has anyone used one like it??? More info in next post.

it is made by Allied Precision Industries Inc. In Elburn Il.We used a FFA font heater sitting on a stainless steel tray last year. It worked well but I had some mold under the tray, yuck.Just asking if anyone has used this heated font I bought and what they like or dislike about it. :)

If you go on the rural kings website there are 20+ reviews of this fountain. This is my first winter with my girls and I thought about getting this one. I decided to go with the electric water heater base with a metal fountain, with hopes that it would last many years. I don't know if I made the right choice or not.I will let you know how it goes...if you could please do the same? Do you keep your fountain inside or outside of your coop? I am a little nervous for the winter...just hoping I do things right. There seem to be so many different ideas on how to do things.
Thank you :)

Have 4 welsummer roos, 2 splash orp roos, 2 light sussex roos and 2 black americauna roos. All born around May 20. Some very nice birds. Anyone interested let me know. I can send pics.
1f423.png

Up until this year I only had hens/pullets. I have a question about feeds. I now have roos and next year I'm hoping my broody hen can hatch and raise a few chicks.
263a.png
What do you feed when you have a mixed (ages and sex) flock? And if you have your own feed made, what do you use? Thanks to all who reply.
1f600.png

Up until this year I only had hens/pullets. I have a question about feeds. I now have roos and next year I'm hoping my broody hen can hatch and raise a few chicks.
263a.png
What do you feed when you have a mixed (ages and sex) flock? And if you have your own feed made, what do you use? Thanks to all who reply.
1f600.png
I switched my laying hens and one rooster over from laying feed to Purina Flock Raiser when I integrated my young ones this summer I have oyster shell available free choice for them always . Just switched everyone back to Layena this weekend now that young ones began laying.

I recently made the switch to flockraiser a few months ago. The best thing that I like is that all ages can have it so no more tracking separate feeds. At first I didn't think they were eating any less feed (as some folks had claimed would happen due to higher protein in it) but after a few weeks there was feed left over in the evenings. One breed in particular always kept a scrawny look to their breast area until I switched to flockraiser. Now all are more filled out and they do eat a bit less feed. I would suggest at least trying it if keeping different ages or trying to integrate ages.

My husband is encouraging me to consider getting rid of my 2 very nice dairy goat does. I'm pretty reluctant but a thought crossed my mind this morning that maybe someone would want them in trade for a nice coop or maybe a couple of those little ones you can buy in the store and have probably outgrown. Lol
I might even be interested in the supplies for a coop that someone never got around to building.
I'll check back here later to see if there is any interest. I'm off to spend the day washing birds up for the fair.

My husband is encouraging me to consider getting rid of my 2 very nice dairy goat does. I'm pretty reluctant but a thought crossed my mind this morning that maybe someone would want them in trade for a nice coop or maybe a couple of those little ones you can buy in the store and have probably outgrown. Lol
I might even be interested in the supplies for a coop that someone never got around to building.
I'll check back here later to see if there is any interest. I'm off to spend the day washing birds up for the fair.

What kind of goats? Maybe we can trade for some younger wcb polish. The chicks are high quality, being from joel hennings and the mother costing 100 dollars. If they are nigerian dwarves or pygmies... I can ask and we may think about it. Though

do they have papers? As in, are they registered.
how old are they
Have they had kids
are they up to date
What are do you live in or near.

263a.png
1f600.png

I have my local mill mix my feed. Very low soy, over 17% protein, whole & cracked grains included, lower calcium with additional supplemented separately. Only drawback for some would be is that the base is a mash (fine powder) but since I ferment my feed it works great for me. It costs about $10 per 50 pounds with a minimum 500 pound order at a time...also not a problem since I go thriugh about 700-800 pounds per month of my layer mix.
For the chicks not yet integrated into the flock, I use a gamebird pellet that's 18% protein & mix distiller's grain 23-25% protein) with it to get 20-22% protein, also fermented to dissolve the pellets.

I raise chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, quail & guineas on this mix. I do place a couple small bowls of the "baby mix" on the floor in the coop for the younger birds & broody hens who prefer to eat away from the adults. It allows them to get more of the higher protein feed longer once integrated in the flock. The adult birds eat in the run.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom